Accelerometer and resonance measurements of the motion system.

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Ntesla66, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

Let me be absolutely clear from the start. I'm not making any blanket statements here concerning the performance or operational characteristics of the E3D Tool Changer nor Motion Platform.

I cannot and will not assume that anyone else's machine has the characteristics that I've measured on my own machine.

This post may easily fall into the tl;dr category but I don’t know where else to post it ,so here it is anyways.

I undertook a series of tuning prints with a ringing test cube and was dismayed to find that there was nearly nothing that had an effect on ringing in the Y direction. I was very methodical starting slow and changing only one thing at a time. I then took the tool changer gear off and increased the spring tension on the compliant mechanism that holds the tools in place by using a stiffer spring. If the resonance I was seeing was caused by the tool rocking against the tool plate this would at least have changed its frequency... it did not. Finally I pushed the carriage all the way to the back and centered the tool holder and then tightened the belts quite a bit, plucking them on both sides, I measured the frequency with a microphone and o-scope . The high tone and low tone was 274Hz and 135Hz respectively(do not tune them this high it isn’t good for the machine). This got rid of quite a bit of ghosting on the Y axis. I then played around with M593 quite a bit and ended up with it set at 55Hz although I believed there was a lower fundamental in the carriage near 34Hz.

I then obtained and attached several adxl337 accelerometers to the carriage and to the hot end of one of the tools. I’ve included pictures of how they were attached. Great care was taken to ensure that neither the accelerometer vibrated in its holder nor the holder itself vibrated against the attach point.

The accelerometers power was supplied by a Siglent SPD3303x-e set to 3 volts dc and their XYZ outputs were connected to an HP35670A dynamic signal analyzer set to take an FFT spectrum power density measurement and average the samples. When taking a full XYZ compliment, I could only capture one accelerometer at a time as the signal analyzer is only four channels. To compare two accelerometers, I took only the XY components of each. A Rigol 1054 o-scope was monitored during measurements to ensure signal integrity and level of clipping if any in the output of the accelerometers during rapid traversals.

The impulse I used to excite the system was 1mm step inputs starting with either the carriage or carriage and tool centered in the printing area and then stepping only in either the X or Y direction at one second intervals until the average sampling was completed. Most of the measurements were made with a twenty sample envelope.

I did not attempt to gauge the accelerometers against an absolute reference, so all measurements are relative to the platform itself. However the test system was quite adequate to indicate the data I was looking for.

The data was acquired from the analyzer over GPIB and parsed in MATLAB and then plotted.

Results, I’ve no intention of turning this into a dissertation, so succinctly here’s my take on it. There’s no evidence that the tool holder is rocking or vibrating at the compliant point of the spring holding it in.
    However the longer lever arm that the tool head represents is magnifying the resonance present on the Y axis. The M593 command has an effect but many times only to move the resonance elsewhere (Bode's sensitivity integral). I’m not entirely sure but I’ve a suspicion that M593’s effect may shift resonances onto the other axis because of the inherent coupling in the corexy kinematics.

There is a resonance on the Y Axis that is not controllable by M593. The resonant frequency that I’ve observed is at 45HZ with the belts tuned to a plucked frequency of 108Hz and 68Hz. There may be a belt tuning where the cross coupling effect of M593 and the natural Y resonance may cancel and ringing abated (my next endeavor). I suspect the long side belts as the cause but that’s pure conjecture and not proven.

Here is the data and some of the photos of the setup. In some of the graphs I forgot to label the data in the Acceleration legend, it was always X Y Z top to bottom in the colors or if four then XY XY.

AccelX_Tool_Mosq.jpg AccelXY_comp.jpg AccelXY_comp_stpx.jpg AccelXY_comp_stpy.jpg AccelY_Tool_Mosq.jpg XY30CubeComp44.jpg XY60CubeComp44.jpg XY60CubeComp50.jpg XY60CubeNoComp.jpg XYcomp41.jpg XYcomp41Ystp.jpg XYnoComNoToolYstp.jpg XYnoCompWtool.jpg XYnoComwToolYstp.jpg

Setup

174240scaled-min.jpg 182324scaled-min.jpg

Cubes that go with the data
    cubesxscaled-min.jpg cubesyscaled-min.jpg

#1 Ntesla66, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

Great work, appreciate you sharing the results, I don't have access to such tools so I am grateful you went the extra mile, and looking forward for your conclusion.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  3. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Given the motion system part is pre-assembled you’d think that to some degree such research would be in some way transferable. There does seem to be a fair bit of variation in belt tension even in the pre-assembled units based on comments people have been making here. This is a really cool idea though, must less subjective.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  4. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

I think in the long run it will, Paul. I just didn't want to be misconstrued as having said all these motion systems would have this response because I've changed the tool head and already mucked about with the belt tension.

5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Fantastic diagnostics!

If there is anything we can do to help please drop me an email.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  6. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that for M593 to reduce ringing effectively, you need to set the acceleration limits of the machine high and the jerk limits reasonably low. Unfortunately, some slicers include M201 and/or M204 commands in the GCode file they generate, and this is likely to prevent RRF using a high enough acceleration to cancel the ringing.

What speeds did you configure for your 1mm step input, and what acceleration limit did you set?

Ideally, the jerk limit would be set to zero or near-zero allow M593 to work best, but this is impractical because it causes stuttering when printing curves. Still, it would be interesting to see the effects of different jerk values on the ringing that you measure.

7. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

Max Velocity was 400mm/sec both coordinates , Acceleration was 3000mm/sec^2 both coordinates, Jerk was 6.667mm/sec both coordinates. The weight of the tool was 423 grams as built. An interesting effect was to take a full measurement with M593 off and then changing nothing other than turning it on , take another average. You could see the sidebands forming on one of the other axis.

I've been playing around with non-symmetrical settings on the acceleration and jerk while setting M593 to the second harmonic and achieved somewhat acceptable results but nothing earth shattering. When I set jerk too low the machine sounds like it's grunting.

Since you're familiar with this motion system is there a particular analytical series of measurements you would like to see? I would gratefully run any tests you'd like.

#7 Ntesla66, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019