Acceptable temp swing for a v6?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Paul Gibson, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Paul Gibson

Paul Gibson Member

Is 10 degrees C an acceptable swing for the new v6 (with the canister style thermistor)? When I do my PID tuning (shooting for 200C) it swings from 195ish to 205ish. I've tried running 15 cycles, and it doesn't improve.

I got a new E3D V6 from Filastruder (who are awesome, by the way) and it has a canister style thermistor on the block on the side opposite the heater cartridge. The deets:
    • Changed my table in Marlin to 5
    • Ran PID tuning for 15 cycles
    • Updated firmware with the tuning results
    My previous hotend was a clone with the screw type hold down for the thermistor right next to the nozzle and it would hold within 2 degrees, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong here.

Are you supposed to use some sort of thermal interface compound for the canister style thermistors?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

The PID tuning will swing alot but after you have implemented the PID values and stored them you should have a pretty flat temperature curve when printing.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I found that a slight draft from an open window was enough to ruin a PID tuning run, closing the window and running again went from around five or six °C variation to virtually nothing.

I had read in a previous post that thermal compound wasn't necessary on the PT100 thermocouple, which by the sound of it has a similar body as it fits in the V6 heater block supplied with the BB 1.0

In another post the way that the PID parameters were saved was wrong, but corrected later. Maybe worth a check to see that was done right?

4. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

@Paul Gibson

Have you run M304 from a terminal to make sure your new PID values are actually in use?

Edit:
    It should be M301 for hotend...

#4 tohara, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  5. Paul Gibson

Paul Gibson Member

Hey thanks guys!
    Stian, you were absolutely right: it was swinging a bunch in the tuning, but once I started printing it was holding steady within a couple of degrees!

Just for safety, I ran the tuning again and made sure to stop any drafts around my printer (thanks for the tip Tafr!) I also ran the verification to be sure they made it in.

Thanks for the help!

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.