Add color LCD touch screen?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Tripp, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Tripp

Tripp Well-Known Member

I know I've been adding a lot of threads in a short time, and I'm sorry about that. But I was wondering if it's possible to add a color lcd touch screen like the one from Sainsmart and have it work on the box with no Marlin coding knowledge.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

There have been projects to add colour touch to Marlin and there is a forked build to do it but dunno how well in step it is with the version the BB ships with. As Mike says octopi can do it or there is matter control touch but it's not cheap ( or open source) quite nice though, I "nearly" went that route rather than octopi as I have a lot of love for mattercontrol on the PC ( still on the fence as to whether I'll keep going with S3D or go back to it )

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I refuse to use MatterControl again until they add a temperature graph and show the freaking errors in the main screen and/or show the terminal without having to open it every time

5. Dr Jeep

Yeh see I don't really print direct from it so those things don't hurt me so much. The only time I really print direct is if I am trying to debug or calibrate my printer. Otherwise I run from SD. That said having a temp graph when debugging is handy :)

Repetier all but abandoned us Mac users and having all that on my Linux laptop when all the design work is done on a Mac makes no sense, so before buying S3D as part of the BB KS project I had less choices. Plus mono on Linux...I feel dirty just thinking about it :)

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

8. Tripp

Tripp Well-Known Member

9. Tripp

Tripp Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that I don't either, but that panel is only like 10 bucks (the one I found), and I think it looks really nice. I'll probably use it to heat the extruder or something sometimes.

10. Dr Jeep

I might be wrong but no other screen is going to be truly plug and play (with the possible exception of a standalone controller like the mattercontrol thing) If you go with plugging a screen into octopi there will be extra work to configure it for a touch interface and if you plug a controller with a colour screen into the rumba board then you'll need to reset the firmware to a different controller type (assuming it's supported) or use patched firmware.

Remember the screen board on the bigbox does more than just being a display, it's also the controller input for the rotary encoder control and the sd card interface for printing.