Adding a fourth extruder to the Rumba

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by Tom De Bie, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've been searching the interweb if I could find some information about adding a fourth extruder to the Rumba so I could run the Kraken at full force. I've found several threads about extending the Ramps 1.4 to three, even four extruders, but the problem is that there aren't enough pins to power the hotends and to install two extra thermistors.
    The Rumba already has got three steppers which are usable for three hotends, but has it got three outputs for the heaters and three inputs for thermistors?
    And more importantly are there pins enough for a fourth extruder (I think the AUX port will be sufficient)?
    And then finally is there a place where to create an output for the fourth heater and a pin for the thermistor?

With kind regards,

Tom

2. Tom De Bie

Hey Guys and Gals,

I managed to figure it out by myself...
    The fourth extruder can be connected to the EXP pins 5(STEP_PIN), 6(DIR_PIN) and 7(ENABLE_PIN).
    Thermistor 3 can be used to measure the temp for the fourth hot-end and after altering the pins_RUMBA.h file the heater cartridge can be connected to FAN1.

I altered the configuration.h and pins_RUMBA.h (see attachment) so I could connect an external Stepper Expander or CNC board to the RUMBA. The information I got from the Rumba Schematics (see below) and the Arduino Mega 2560 pin mapping table (see attachment)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#2 Tom De Bie, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. Tom De Bie

To make it easier for someone to figure out which pins go where I edited the schematic and added the digital and analog pin numbering of the Mega 2560 chip ;)

Attached Files:

PaymanT likes this.
  4. Tom De Bie

After trying the new firmware on the Rumba with the Full Graphic Smart Controller I saw that there where only 3 extruders displayed...
    [​IMG]

Again I was in a new frontier... Found a couple of threads about people who altered what the LCD displayed... So with that information I changed a couple of lines in ultralcd_impl_DOGM.h and redrew the raw bitmaps in dogm_bitmaps.h
    And voilla...
    [​IMG]

5. William DUtcher

Excellent work Tom. I'm working on adding the third and forth extruder to my printer as well. Nice to see that it is possible to add a forth extruder to the Full Graphic Smart Controller display. Would it be possible for you to post the changes you made to the two display files? It would certainly make upgrading easier.

Thanks.

6. Tom De Bie

Here you go ;)

Attached Files:

7. William DUtcher

Thank you very much Tom, you saved me a bunch of work. Hats of to you, keep on Kraken.

8. Michael Frampton

Michael Frampton Well-Known Member

Very good ;) i was about to a question but i think u have answered most of it..i want to know if i can run 3 extruders..but using only 1 hot end heater and thermistor. Will rumba show error or can it be configured to do this job?

9. Michael Frampton

Thats sooo cool !!

10. Tom De Bie

I guess you want to install a Diamond hotend... You can do this with a Rumba, but more importantly. It's the firmware which you should be looking at. There is an option in Marlin where you can select 3 extruders with one hotend. But if you want to use the Diamond hotend for what it's designed (aka color mixing) then you should be using Repertier ;)

11. Michael Frampton

And can i still run S3D ?

12. Tom De Bie

S3d doesn't do colormixing (yet). But there is a feature request for it. Hopefully it isn't that hard for the programmers to implement... But if you want to colormix the only option is to use Repetier firmware with the host...

13. Michael Frampton

I want more for making functional parts made from 2or 3 different materials

14. Tom De Bie

Then you would be better off with a kraken as with this setup you'll be able to set the temperature for each hotend.
    On the software side... S3d is able to do just that. ;)

15. Michael Frampton

I only want a single nozzle to avoid secondary nozzle scuffing the print due to the fact they are at same height..but i have thought about keeping both nozzles at same temp.so the unused nozzle melts/carves thru any obstacles. .whats ur thoughts on the matter please?

16. Tom De Bie

I've had this same discussion with the patron of the fablab in Brussels...
    Your theory will work, but if the hotends aren't exactly at the same height it will leave marks on the top layer...
    My thought on the matter is that if you calibrate the hotends with a digital caliper or feeler gauge so they are all the same height and your heatbed is exactly perpendicular to the hotends and your x and y-axis are also calibrated correctly you won't have to heat the second hotend because it won't touch the layer which is printed by the first hotend...
    But this means that you will have to put an enormous amount of time in calibrating your printer and keep it in it's place and not move it.
    I know it's doable because I've did it with my prusa i3 and chimera setup.

#16 Tom De Bie, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  17. Michael Frampton

Ok..i find getting the nozzles and bed all equal the easy part..but my worry is no matter what,in just about every print theres always a lil blob or lump where nozzle build up has been left proud on top layer.and this is what i dont want the unused nozzle bumping over causing the functioning nozzle to lift and leave another bump and so on and so on.i hope i explained that ok

18. Tom De Bie

I know what you mean by that ;)
    then having a hotend which is above 180°C would also solve that problem and using a chimera or kraken and print another type of plastic shouldn't be a problem.

19. Michael Frampton

Il google kraken and chimera now

20. Tom De Bie

They are both from E3D