Adjust the Stepper Drivers to volt range

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Tetrikus, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I'm near completing the build of the BigBox. The manual says, I have to adjust the stepper drivers to a volt range between 0.55 - 0.60 volts. Unfortunately I noticed, that my multimeter isn't able to show two digits. What is the worst case, when I cannot exactly adjust the stepper drivers? What could happen if I try to do a test-print anyway? Would you recommend to wait, until I'm completely sure, I am between the range?

Thanks for your assessments!

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

You can't kill your motors or drivers if you do short test runs. In worst case scenario either your steppers or motors will thermally shutdown. You can hear from the sound of the motors if they are right tuned or not. General advice is: if they make a lot of noise, the voltage is too high, if the motors don't run or stutter the voltage is too low. But I advice you to get a better voltmeter later on, this will make your life a lot easier.

Tetrikus likes this.
  3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Even if your meter only works to one decimal place, you can get them in the right ballpark (i.e. check they aren't wildly high or low, the hobby end of digital meters are rarely in cal when we are talking about a few hundredths of a volt anyway)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I always do mine by feel anyways. You want just enough current it's hard to stop the carriages from moving.

Measuring is just a ballpark really but isn't necessary. Getting to ~.6 is a good start point but not the "ideal" point by any means

5. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway I think it may be beneficial to 1st time 3d printer owners if you provide a video of what to look or hear for. Else they have no reference. Show both ends of the spectrum of what a motor that is too low in voltage looks and sounds like. What a motor with too much voltage looks and sounds like. Then how a properly tuned motor should behave.

cez and Gregory Grubbs like this.
  6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Currently I'm running 0.576/0.253/0.654/0.510v (XYZE). I reduced the Y a bit as it is geared down by the belt drive, this quieted travel considerably. I increased the Z a bit as it is being split between the two motors. I found the recommended ~0.55v was about the best for X and E. Tuning was done by ear, with testing at 125mm/s for skipping steps.

cez and Razar like this.
  7. Tetrikus

I will get my multimeter tomorrow. Obviously I couldn't wait to do a first print. Since I'm completely unexperienced in 3D-Printing, I'm very unsure, if the sounds the motors do right now are perfect, very bad or just in range. :) I don't no whether this could help, but I've recorded a video - I feel like the printer sounds a bit strange, but again, I'm completely unexperienced. Maybe someone could have a look at it?

https://youtu.be/Z8bioE3sOSo

Thanks so much, the support within this forum is awesome!

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Tetrikus likes this.
  9. Gregory Grubbs

Gregory Grubbs Active Member

I feel like my motors dont sound nearly that loud or cool! :( Are you sure you werent playing Pacman in the background @Tetrikus ? ;)

cez and Tetrikus like this.
  10. Tetrikus

:D

Gregory Grubbs likes this.
  11. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Would 55v be okay for E with the smaller 40N motors that were optional with the Titan upgrade?

12. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Just to confuse matters, I had z-axis skipping (moves between layers not happening). I tried increasing the driver voltage but it made things worse. I reduced the voltage to 0.45v and haven't had that issue since.

My y-axis motor is quite loud, even with a damper so I may try lowering that too.

Cheers

Jason

13. cez

cez Well-Known Member

How did this work out for you in the long run?

14. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Worked fine, though about 3 months ago I upgraded to a Duet Wifi, which handles steppers a little differently (different stepper drivers, set current in software instead of a Vref potentiometer)

COMPLETE BigBox + DuetWifi controller