Adjust the Tension of the Filament Idler (To?)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Old_Tafr, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

In the "Your First Print" section of the WiKi it says....

"Adjust the tension of the Filament Idler"

To what?

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Good question..... I feel like it does not matter what I do the tension is the same or I'm lucky because it looks like working with my current setting.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no good and easy answer to this.
    There are some guidelines though:
    1. Ensure the filament is not slipping
    2. Ensure the filament is not deformed
    3. Ensure the gear does not grind the filament
    To test this I do the following:
    1. I move the filament with the extruder and pull it slightly backwards with the hand, if I can pull it backwards the tension is too low.
    2. I feed some filament through the feeder then move it back through the feeder and look at the filament where is has been compressed. The gear should leave small marks but the filament has to stay round.
    3. Same as 1. but if the filament does not get back by pulling instead the gear grinds into the filament. Then the tension is also too low.
    Wether 1. or 3. happens depends on the filament, I see slipping mostly with PLA or XT, grinding I have with filled filaments (wood fill, cork fill) and ABS.
    2. also depends on the filament, I was not able to deform PLA but ABS was very easy while it is also easy for me to get grinding. Setting tension for ABS is a tightrope walk.
    Whereas PLA and XT are forgiving...

Razar likes this.