Adjustable Brush

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by bcprint3d, Jul 29, 2020.

1. bcprint3d

bcprint3d Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my adjustable brush that I have been working on for the last month or so. It started off as a remix of Greg's off of Thingiverse, but has since undergone a major redesign. You can find all the files for it here on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4531514

I do still have to post a bill of materials and configuration instructions, those should be posted in the next several days.

The main things that I changed were the linear rail, how the brush is mounted and the alignment of the lead screw. The linear rail is fairly cheap and usable off the shelf. It also uses a polymer bearing, so no lubrication is required. I designed the brush to be removable, so you can swap out designs or different brushes easier. Alignment of the lead screw and the linear rail makes the design more compact and eliminates some warping issues that were causing the linear rail and lead screw to be out of alignment.

I am using a custom made silicone brush made from 1/4 inch thick silicone sheets.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Attached Files:

Greg Holloway likes this.
  2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Just an FYI, there is a reason why the motor is off centre to the rail; it gets in the way of the spools if the motor is directly inline with the rail. I had to move the stepper motor back towards the electronics panel a few cm to provide clearance.

3. bcprint3d

bcprint3d Member

Ok, that is good to know, thanks. I have my spools mounted on the outside to make them easier to access, so that issue did not come up. I will have to see if I can alter it a bit to work around that. At the very least, I will make a note of that in the instructions when I do them.

Primary reason I moved it was to help with keep the lead screw and the linear rail parallel. I kept getting a slight warp to the section where the stepper motor attaches. It was not significant, but it was enough to cause binding with the linear rail I am using.

Greg Holloway likes this.
  4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Use a different material that doesnt warp?