Adjusting the Z 0 height

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

I already adjusted per the method in the Guide, but it's not as close as I would like it.
    Is it best to adjust the overall bed distance using each tool's offset? The way I did it on my other Duet machine does not seem to apply to the TC since the method required measuring the hotend tip distance from the bed. Perhaps if I picked up T0 then set the bed to home then measure with something that I slip between the nozzle and the bed?

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

To get the bed offset I pick up a tool and move it over the bed to X0 Y0 and then adjust the bed up/down until it is just touching the glass and then use the vale as an offset. You can get surprisingly good results.

3. Andy Cohen

Use the value as an offset where exactly? There are so many places where things can get redundant.

I assume it's the G10 lines at the end of the config file, but my assumptions have been wrong before.
    It did work though!

#3 Andy Cohen, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  4. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

It is the G10 line. I just made a square with 0.2 layer thickness. Adjusted it first with baby steps and slowly dialled it in with a few iterations. Now got it to where I can do a single layer to 2/100 of a mm exact, which is way more than good enough. Takes quite a bit longer than the procedure outlined in the calibration part of the documentation, but the results speak for themselves.

5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, the G10s in teh config file. those are the only offsets that should be adjsuted. thre shouldnt be any anywhere else.

6. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Also, if you start with the E3D github config, there are TWO blocks of G10s: the first one resets the offsets to start with a clean slate, leave these alone. And then there is a second block, consisting of just 4 lines. These are the ones to adjust. If you adjust the upper ones, then nothing will change as they get overridden by the lower ones, don't ask me how I know... ;)

Greg Holloway likes this.
  7. Andy Cohen

So if the number for the Z axis offset goes further less then zero is that add more distance between the nozzle and bed or less???

8. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

I have a short path Hemera: Z-5.28
    I have a TitanAero where the nozzle tip is lower: Z-7.75
    And a vulcano would have more minus.

I always think that I adjust the bed, not the nozzle. That makes it easier for me to understand.
    Does this help?

I adjusted my nozzles two days ago. I used a cheap usb microscope for it and had the maximum focus set. Then I drove the nozzles to the point where they looked the shapest. I guess that I now have +-0.02. But I will probably add a switch to my bed which can equalize all my tools nozzles faster.

9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I use a slightly different method for Z alignment. I pick up the Tool, move it to the center, adjust Z with the dashboard or G1 H1 moves if I can't move low enough. Once I have the bed just right according to my eye, I then issue G10 commands until the dashboard reflects exactly what I'm seeing. Once I have Z0 shown in the dashboard, the last G10 command issued is the one I place in config.g.

Nibbels likes this.
  10. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Your method is better than my microscope tuning.

I today tested the microscope tuned offsets and kind of failed. It first looked awsome and logical but it was more like +-0.02..0.03 nozzle to nozzle and that turned out to be unusable.
    Next I try to install some flat micro switch attached to the bed. Only to equalize nozzles. Babystepping is another last tune then.

11. Andy Cohen

Yes thanks. About to switch all the E3d V6 nozzles to the Micro-swiss with the longer, more conical tip.