AFP (automated fiber placement) tool

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Michael Shamberger, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Michael Shamberger

I'm working to setup the tool changer on a hevort printer for the purpose of trying to build an AFP tool that can lay continuous fiber thermoplastic tapes.

Setup would have normal printing head and 3 tape heads with carbon fiber, glass fiber and aramid (kevlar) 3mm thermoplastic tapes. I'm starting with PA-6 (nylon) tapes though there is a range of materials.

Desktop Metal is selling a printer like this called the "Fiber"

Clarin and W1EBR.Gene like this.
  2. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

That sounds really interesting!

3. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Member

I would like to collab this project with you. I have been wanting to do this for the TC for along time... It will break so many boundaries that the Markforged has done already. Ill send you a PM

4. Michael Shamberger

I think one issue that needs to get addressed is to make it easier to get the tapes for experimenting. I first contacted a vendor 3 weeks ago and hopefully soon I will get my first samples. They charged a 25 euro slitting fee per type even if you only want 200 meters... I am thinking to order samples from 3 or 4 vendors. I need a vendor that will do 10 or 20 kg batches. Then I can get different tapes, subdivide and put them on amazon or somewhere else that handles logistics....

5. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Any updates?