Again problem... Can't remove the hotend

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by NikosK, Apr 4, 2016.

1. NikosK

NikosK Member

While printing yesterday the filament stopped flowing the hotend while the extruder tried to push it through a e3d v6 head.
    Stopped printing and found out that all the hotend was lower that normal, while screwed normaly on the extruder. I tried to remove the filement from the hotend and got this peculiar shape
    WIN_20160403_20_25_36_Pro.jpg
    Th filament shows 2 thick ends and a middle portion which was soft enough to be lengthened while pulling.
    Then I tried to remove the hotend. Nothing I tried worked. I could unscrew and remove the heatbreak from the heatsink, but the heatsink wont move. I can rotate freely the heatsink but when I try to pull it down I fear I will break all the x-axis.
    I believe the heatsink is held in place by the PTFE tubing which for some reason in stuck in the extruder.
    What can I do to free the heatsink and the tubling

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Did you heat up the hotend before you tried to unscrew the nozzle ? Usually 185°C is sufficient to loosen the nozzle enough to unscrew it.

3. NikosK

NikosK Member

The part of the hotend comprising of the heartbreak, the block and the nozzle came out a single piece and I dont see any filament inside. As I said I can't remove the heatsink with the Ptfe tube attached. I don't know why the tube is stuck in the extruder but I can't remove it so I can't lower the heatsink at all.

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's possible to press the tube out by using a long M6 screw?

5. NikosK

NikosK Member

just removed the tube and guess what... I can't remove the heatsink from the plastic extruder.
    I can't understand what is going on. I inserted by hand the heatsink in the hole of the extruder and used screws to keep it in place. Now the heatsink head is larger than the hole and I can't remove it at all. Can aluminum get larger?

6. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Guess your fan was stopped and the heatsink started melting the plastic. Try to heat it up again with hot air or a soldering iron and then pull out quickly, maybe you can save something.