All metal cooling fan duct.

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by InventInside.com, Oct 6, 2019.

1. InventInside.com

InventInside.com New Member

I decided to make a metal cooling duct made from steel to direct the airflow directly on the nozzle and prevent deformation due to heat. My idea is that the fan could possibly reduce leaking from nozzle during standby, it's lighter, smaller and looks better. Thoughts, suggestions and ideas to improve the design are welcome. How does directing the airflow in such a manner affect the print? layer adhesion? warping?

The metal is cut using a laser from 0.15mm carbon steel and then folded like origami.
    I have attached the AI vector file, but you will need a fiber laser powerful enough to cut through the material of your choice.

Attached Files:

• fan.ai
      File size:
      811.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      216.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      184.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      204.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      253.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views:
    Greg Holloway and Rob Heinzonly like this.
  2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Very cool!

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

What we really need is air coming to the printing point from multiple directions, either by way of a complex duct shape or multiple fans with simpler ducts. The benefit I see on your design is that the flow is more focused, potentially allowing you to drop the speed of the fan and generate less noise, or to direct that spare flow potential to other angles.