Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by blarbles, Sep 13, 2019.
I did yes, thanks and there is a timeline for the release of the Hermes.
I saw the tweet Late November Looking forward to it
I want my Toolchanger with 4 Hermes
I think a lot of us are probably in that boat. Hopefully there is an upgrade path or at least tool plates at launch.
Sign me up for the Hermes once the Duet 3 tool electronics modules become a thing, having just canbus and power routed to an extruder module is freaking awesome. The whole setup shown at TCT was mouthwatering.
Can you give me an idea of the minimum functionality you think the tool board needs to provide? The build cost of the one we showed at TCT is higher than we would like, and if we keep all the existing functionality, and bearing in mind the discounts we need to offer distributors, the retail price would need to be over £45 + tax. The biggest cost items are the CAN-FD capable microcontroller, the 12V regulator for the fans, and the assembly of so many through-hole connectors. The current design provides connectors for one heater, one 2 or 4 wire fan for print cooling, one 2 or 3 wire fan for heatsink cooling, one Z probe, 3 thermistors or PT1000 temperature sensors, and a debug port that could also be used to provide 2 GPIO pins.
The minimum functionality would just be anything required to just run data+power to the extruder module. How much brains is needed to pull that off, I have no idea. But especially for a Hermes, I guess you'd need a chip that interfaces with the mainboard, a stepper driver for the extruder motor, something to run hotend fan and print fan and something to read temperature data, preferrably from a PT100.
What would be absolutely awesome is an ID or "fingerprinting" system where each module I own would contain data like nozzle diameter, tool offsets, heater wattage, amps for the motor etc and anything else specific to this tool - the wet dream for tool changing would be an autoconfiguring system that adapts the config dynamically when I connect the extruder module, so having part of the config on the tool itself so to speak and have it communicate it to the mainboard. Probably be so adaptable that it is not limited to extruders, but also can have "tool" heads like lasers, little engravers, cameras and what have you.
But what I am very much looking forward to with the Duet 3 is CNC applications, those beefy drivers are practically begging to go into a Workbee or similar.
That's in our long-term plans, using some of the flash memory on the MCU to store data about the tool.
Since this discussion has kicked off here, I was close to putting myself in the queue for a toolchanger setup but having seen both the Hermes and the Duet 3 I've decided to hold off.
I am very much intrigued by a toolchanger, Hermes hot ends, and duet 3 - especially with the canbus.
as for minimum functionality, I don't know how much of an impact it would have on the price but personally I would only need to have one thermistor input, not 3, and a Z-probe connection would be nice but not needed on all heads so you could just wire that one head that does have it with the extra wires back to the main board.
Really looking forward to Duet 3 and Hermes hitting the market, and hoping you can do a bundle with it all along with the tool changer system when they do arrive.
I think I need to rename my Almost Direct Drive to Not-Nearly-As-Cool-As-Hermes after reading and watching some of the coverage. Mine is lighter in the weight department, but I think the advantages Hermes offers are worth it.
As long as the Hermes is lighter than a Titan Aero, I am a happy man.
My almost direct drive had the first multi-material print (not multi-color). The black is Made Solid flex printed at 235 and the rest is pla printed at 210. I turned off retraction for the flex filament which might have been a mistake given the strings it produced.
Overall I am happy with the result - I had no problems printing the flex with my slightly-longer-than-direct-drive distance. The PLA printed decent. I reduced the size of the print and I think Simplify3D did not have detect thin walls on which resulted in the gaps in the interior triangles.
I know everyone has probably moved on to the Hemera but just in case someone implemented the almost direct drive solution I wanted to share an update you should probably make if you are running it. The extruder has a fair amount of upward flex when retracting which introduces some inconsistencies in retraction. I changed the screw holding the base plate to be longer and added a washer which now holds the extruder down against the base plate and stops it from flexing during retraction (see picture below). In initial testing this has eliminated the problem for me (and reduced noise).