Almost perfect... [troubleshooting request]

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dastari, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Dastari

Dastari Member

I am almost done with my ToolChanger and have printed a few things successfully so far, but I'm still trouble shooting a few problems. I will confess I'm very new to this hobby and my knowledge in the areas required for this hobby is only enough to get me in trouble.

I'm having two problems:

1) When I run the bed compensation script, I get output [attached] that looks really bad to me. Using a level, the bed seems good, so I'm at a loss as to what I need to do to correct this. That being said, I have had successful prints despite this.

2) I have had a more serious failure. It seemed to occur when I had all four tools heating up at the same time; the web console immediately drowned me in 'short-to-ground errors on drivers 5 6 7 8 9' errors (almost immediately, before they even got very hot). I discovered that the 7.5A fuse blew. When I replace it, the error goes away and I can heat up each tool separately, but I ended up blowing another fuse when I tried a print with multiple tools simultaneously. All the wiring seems fine, but is there anything else I should look into?

Attached Files:

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

1) If I read it right, the bed is pretty flat, but it's tilted at an angle. You say it looks good with a level. But how about the frame... is that just as level? The leveling is basically a report of how square the bed is with the frame, not with gravitationaly downward. Also the picture looks way worse than reality, and it's design that way - to help accentuate issue. The easiest thing to do, is trust the graph, and either raise the left side of the bed, or lower the right side. It's also possible the who bed is a bit off, and if you loosen two screws at the back (don't have a pic to hand) you can nudge the bed a bit. I've had to do this when the bed has reached the bottom and tried to keep going, which then ruins any leveling you had.

2) Pass. Not a problem I've had to resolve. Is this an original Duet, or a knock-off ? Might be worth trying to narrow it down a little further though. You say that when you heat the tool, the (motor?) driver is reporting a short? Is this all tools, or a specific tool. If you heat them in pairs, can you narrow this down to a specific tool? Sorry for just peppering questions here, but that's how I'd be thinking initially if this were happening to me.

3. Dastari

Dastari Member

Thanks for the reply, Spoon Unit. As for 1) you're right, it appears to make it look worse than it is. I printed a few large, complex items and they came out perfectly, so I won't worry about this for now. #2 is the real problem. I've narrowed it down to the fourth extruder. As soon as it starts to heat up, it blows the fuse. I unplugged the heater cartridge and it didn't blow any more fuses, and I could select it and turn on the fans, and so on. So I guess the next obvious step is to try replacing it. After I order more fuses. :)

4. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Was this a 12V heater cartridge maybe?