Alu/PEI bed troubles

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Sarah Nicholson, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I recently treated myself to a black Alu/PEI bed from Clever3D, and finally had a chance to try some prints with it, however so far my experience has been deeply disappointing.

After installing it I levelled the bed and gave it a quick wipe with isopropyl alchohol to remove any fingerprints, then tried a print in Edge. I'm printing at 0.2 layer height, 240º nozzle temp, and I've tried various bed temperatures between 80 and 95º (I would print Edge at 240º/80º on glass, reducing to 220º/70º). So far absolutely nothing sticks at all. I don't mean it warps a bit, it's not even close to sticking, either the nozzle just drags the filament around or at best it gets one perimeter down but it's so loosely adhered the nozzle just pull sit right up again when it starts the next one. I've tweaked Z height to the point where it's so close to the bed it stops extruding, but it still just will not stick at all. I've given it a long soak at temperature before printing to make absolutely sure it's up to the right temperature.

This seems very contrary to other people's positive reports, so I'm wondering if I'm either using completely the wrong temps, there's some other preparation needed to a brand new bed, or my bed is just defective in some way.

Can anyone who's printed Edge on this bed confirm I'm in at least vaguely the right ball park bed temperature wise? Any other suggestions? This bed wasn't exactly cheap so I'm pretty gutted at the moment.

I'm giving up with Edge for the moment and trying some other filaments to see if I have any more luck with any of them.

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Your approach seems to be OK but I've had no issue with green Edge on this bed, although I did reduce the first layer speed a bit (30%) to encourage adhesion. My temperatures were as on the box. PLA (Alex's settings) and XT20-CF stick quite well too. Another thought, just check that it actually has the PEI coat on it over the anodising; easy to check by scraping away from an off-print area!

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, I've tried PLA and had a lot more success, so not sure why Edge was such a failure. I've got some other spools and different colours of Edge so I might try another one just in case it's something weird with this one spool. I'm going to try some nGen and XT as well, so we'll see how it goes.
    When I received it it had what looked like swirls across the surface as it something had been applied to it so I assumed that was from applying the PEI, but I admit I did start to wonder when my first few prints just totally utterly failed to stick :)

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Good luck Sarah. I'm away enjoying Falmouth sea air and wine, so the BB isn't active!

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Haven't tried edge but with XT or other PETG I do first layer at 255 and bed at 85. With very slow first layer speed. Almost annoyingly slow.

Try to do your initial clean with acetone. Be 100% sure the cloth/paper you clean with is it self free from any balm/softening agent. Someone had washed my micro fibre rags with fabric softener!

Good luck.

6. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member