Am I just unlucky or is this normal?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Julian64, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

So a month after getting my big box dual am onto commissioning it. Very pleased with the overall quality and feel everything is very professionally thought out. Instructions were very clear and easy to follow.

Now previously in the build I noticed half the shaft bearings were notchy to the point of being unusable. On further investigation the innards were either missing the odd ball bearing, or had a covering of what looked like rust. No amount of soaking would bring them back to life so being a perfectionist I threw them away and ordered a set of eight off ebay thinking I would pick the best four. However all turned up perfect in sealed an oiled bags. Maybe I was just unlucky that the postie from E3d dumped mine in a damp part of his van.

Now I find one of the motors is seized solid. I only realised this when did the grub screw up on the pulley and nothing moved. Can't see any surface damage on the motor but I assume its a manufacturing problem of some sort. I've emailed big box to ask if I can return it, but it got me to thinking.

Am I just unlucky?

2. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

Sounds unlucky. However, a few of the backers, including myself, got replacement bearings. In my case, there was at least one of the little metal balls loose from inside the bearing. Some recommended using Misumi bearings as replacements.

However, the rust issue... that's a new one on me. Perhaps might have been a bad batch, or just an unlucky fault with the motor.

3. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I purchased Misumi bearings before i even got my kit in the post based off a ton of reading on here. Im really glad i did, after comparison they were a hell of a lot better than the stock ones. The rust issue is a new one, the bearings in my kit were fine, I think that and the motor was just bad luck. E3D are really good at sending out replacements, drop them an email.

4. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

got a link to the misumi bearings

I can feel the sounds of my big box coming apart AGAIN :)

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

6. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

Called big box and motor on its way apparently. You gotta love the service at BB.

Thanks for the info Ephemeris and cez, :) I feel the need for a small pile of spares

cez likes this.
  7. cez

cez Well-Known Member

No problem, I had a few issues myself and E3D were amazing everytime. It was a day turn around on the replacements at the most. Def check out the Misumi bearings, If you want to replace the lot buy 9 not 8, that gives you a spare if one is not up to scratch