an interesting thread on speed & acceleration

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Feb 11, 2017.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

am half way through reading a thread on speed and acceleration - the context is a feature request for the duet board -

if you'd like something to think about then highly recommended!

https://duet3d.com/forum/thread.php?id=780#p7571

(and if you don't want to think then just look at the pictures of the metal printer on p2)

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's some extended dialogue but interesting. It says nothing new and it is clear that so much is machine dependent and that customisation for your individual situation(s) will always be necessary. Fortunately, I don't have a fixation for speed and I can put up with small finish-quality issues with some jobs but that's me but for other users that won't do. Wow, that's some printer on page 2 but that drive mechanism looks expensive!

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I prefer quality over speed but the two become positively correlated when dealing with an oozing nozzle, particularly a Volcano.

When all else has been tried, the best way to contain ooze is to move from A to B as quickly as possible with all the speed and acceleration you can. We all know what a mess a part such as an inverted table can become as the extruder hops from leg to leg on every single layer, on each layer multiple times for perimeters, infill and so forth, and with each hop leaving some kind of deposit or imperfection.

mike01hu likes this.
  4. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

I think the idea that there is a speed / quality compromise is not completely true. Higher speeds and acceleration also give sharper corners, whereas slower will give more rounded corners. If you define quality by how close to the original cad file you can be, then speed is important. Of course this is only true to an extent. The plastic we extrude is still a liquid, and you can only deposit that so fast before you start flinging it around too much and layer alignment suffers.

mike01hu likes this.