And the mandatory 'Traffic cone'

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Alex9779, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike Kelly, Stefan and mike01hu like this.
  2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks good. Interesting timelapse around the tool changes.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

IMHO Z change time lapses are the best. Especially if you make the layer change on the same position.
    Does not always produce the best parts because of the Z scar but look cool.
    That's why I developed that addition the OctoPrint Z change time lapse option where you can set you retraction Z hop so that only on a real layer change a photo is taken.
    If you watch the time lapse someone posted on G+ earlier you see that the bed is moving up and down. This is cause of the retractions. The current release of OctoPrint can't decide what a Z change is and takes a photo on every Z change. Looks really strange if you would print a model that has a lot of retractions with Z hop in one layer for example the tree frog...

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I'd come to the opinion the Z scar was really the best you can hope for unless you're doing a spiral print. Are you saying you can completely eradicate scarring caused simply by the start and end of the outline. I thought this was something you had to live with, or go with scars everywhere with the random option. Z hop alone still leaves your outline with a start and stop.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No I am saying that a time lapse looks best IMHO when it looks like the parts is growing under the nozzle with out the head moving too much.
    You can achieve that by making the slicer to switch layers on the same spot every time.
    That way you will get a Z scar. You can try to minimize it or choose the spot to some corner, inner corners work best, maybe with a little wipe movement.
    If you want a good part then a random stat point hide the scar best. You will get only small dots every layer spread around the whole part. Still a small wipe could help but does not have to.
    A Z hop on layer change may support a scar but prevents stringing...

You cannot get everything, you have to make a compromise...