And there off! (BigBox vs Prusa Original I3 MK2)

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Miasmictruth, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I just started a benchy on the Prusa I3 MK2 I am putting together for a customer and my BigBox 1.1 hybrid simultaneously.

For the prusa I am using the S3D profile provided, on the BigBox my tuned profile edited to be the same layer height as the default prusa profile. Lets see what happens.

#1 Miasmictruth, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Alex Stevenson likes this.
  2. Miasmictruth

Wow the prusa if fast, I may have to more work to make the profiles equal, I guess right now this is just a general test.

The prusa won the heat up, but to be fair I have the BigBox set higher. How the prusa auto cals first so the BigBox started to lay plastic first.

3. Miasmictruth

15 minutes in and the prusa is about 1mm ahead

IMG_20170214_173217.jpg

4. Miasmictruth

Humm its a sorry excuse but I think I must have not saved my S3D settings, not my BigBoxes best work I will have to run this race again another time. Will post photos at the end.

Also I should load better quality filament into the BigBox super cheap stuff right now, while the Prusa is using the filament it was shipped with.

5. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Good stuff! I am thinking of buying a Prusa myself, would love to see more comparisons!
    Thank you for sharing.

6. Miasmictruth

My intention wasn't really to advertise but MK2 but I will gladly share my observations. But first here are a few pics of various benchy prints.

From left to right.

Left most silver benchy, First Benchy print on the Bigbox in PETG,

Red Benchy my Prusa clone (first printer) after I upgraded it with a bondtech exturder and genuine V6 hotend.

Black Benchy (sorry about the color doesn't show well on camera) Today's BigBox race print.

Final Silver Benchy Prusa Original I3 MK2 (assembled ran the calibration, downloaded their S3D profile and hit print no personal calibration)

Link to my google drive where I uploaded many pictures
    20170214_222407.jpg 20170214_222516.jpg 20170214_222530.jpg 20170214_222658.jpg 20170214_222713.jpg

7. Miasmictruth

Benchy thoughts

BigBox
    So for the today's black benchy obviously there is something wrong. I am not sure what happened but I think S3D lost some data, when I went to install the .FFF for the Prusa my S3D crashed. Most of the print came out ok but there is some serious issues about midway up the bow. The left most benchy demonstrates better the abilities of the BigBox I think.

MK2
    The overall on the MK2 print is fantastic for the most part, layer 1 seems flawless, finish on flat surfaces flawless, there are small pimples on layer changes but show me a printer that doesn't. Bridging and arches seems perfect, I can just about make out all the letters in “3D Benchy” on the back of the boat which I have yet had any printer print it perfect but this preformed the best.

Only major mark downs are the lower smoke stack, not sure what the issue is but one side has significant blobing, but the upper stack is about flawless.

Very little Z banding is visible to the naked eye unless held just right, though the camera seems to pick it up better. Preforms better then the prusa clone in Z as the red benchy in person as more pronounced z banding.

8. Miasmictruth

My thoughts on the MK2

The build manual is amazing, I definitely recommend having a phone/tablet/computer nearby to look at the online manual as the pictures are much clearer then the paper manual. That said this build was almost 100% by the book, with a couple peeks at the digital version.

The frame is metal, threaded rod, and 3d printed parts, no wood or acrylic here. It feels very strong and I love it. I have seen many clones, and I have to say there is nothing like the original.

Have a set of calipers on hand, there are a few times you should use them, most of those times are when building the x axis as its all threaded rod and if you want you machine to be square you need accurate measurements. The rest is to quickly size hardware.

Be very careful with your wire routing, pay attention during the build I had to tare a couple things a part as I skipped over a couple routing steps.

Negatives.

(First off, I am being nit picky here the kit is absolutely wonderful to build)

I don't like the tension system, there are no tensioners basically you pivot the stepper on one bolt the rotate it back and bolt it to tension, make it hard to be precises.

The whole extruder assembly seems overly complex to me. The V6 block is hard to access if you want to put a silicone sock on it, make sure you put it on before you build the carriage. Its also a bit difficult to feed the filament without opening the extruder (spoiled by how easy the titian works)

Wire management is amazing but the LCD ribbon cable clips could be more robust (could always design your own)

The Electronics enclosure could be a little bigger. (Again spoiled by the BigBox here, I love the giant electronics bay thanks @Greg Holloway

Positives

There are many positive traits but of few of my favs.

The overall construction of the printer shows a lot of thought and effort in design of not just the mechanics but also the ease and cleanliness of the wiring. Something that someone that has only build a BigBox many take for granted but anyone who has experience with other kits will be amazed by.

I love the power supply set up, unlike ever knockoff I3 I have seen, there all the hot AC wires are completely protected from fingers I have no fear reaching around it

Again the Frame is amazing, my printers suffer from a flexible frame, this is not an issue here.

The electronics bay my be small but its well designed and despite the size is easy enough to work on.

Start up is a breeze, there is a nice self check that probes a lot of the common issues (I made no mistakes so I wasn't able to test this thoroughly) but reading the manual it shows a lot of the common faults that will pop up.

Calibration is awesome, there are embedded copper plates in the bed and using an inductive sensor the printer can locate these pads, one thing you need to be careful of is getting the “P.I.N.D.A.” set right, my recommendation is before you start lower the head all the way down until the tip is just above the bed, then set the probe height about a 1.5ish mm about the tip The follow the directions. This calibration method will even sort out errors if they are small in the skew of your X and Y, or tell you to fix it if its too great (again my was good so I wasn't able to verify this.)

Like the BigBox warmup is fast!

The end.

Ok I think that is more then long winded enough if you read all this congratulations lol.

I think I should start a different thread in a different section maybe, but feel free to ask me as many questions as you want. I will only have the machines for a couple more days so If there is a specific picture or test print you want ask quickly.

#8 Miasmictruth, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    gonzalo and Henry feldman like this.
  9. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Great job! Thank you.
    I did read it all lol.

Miasmictruth likes this.
  10. Miasmictruth

Good glad it wasn't all for not lol, sorry for the long winded posts hope that helps. I will try to post some more photos of other printed parts

gonzalo likes this.