Another dual extrusion technique and example

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by mhackney, Dec 9, 2015.

1. mhackney

mhackney Well-Known Member

Here's the next thing I'm working on, a technique to print logos and inscriptions in 2 colors on my 3D printed fly reels using the E3D Cyclops 2 color switching hot end and BondTech QR extruders. I've dreamed about being able to do this for several years and figured out the design and slicing to pull it off but I've not had the ability to actually print it until now. This is a first attempt and is about 95% of the way there. Just a few refinements and it should be ready to go. This one is done in translucent smoke PLA in clear PLA. The logo is three .2mm thick layers. The next version will have a single clear layer on the surface completely encapsulating the logo.

[​IMG]

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

That's pretty slick. Is there sort of a clear raft under the logo?

3. mhackney

The part is 6mm tall with .2 mm layers. The logo is 3 layers (.6mm). The face you see was on the bed (1st layer) so there is clear printed behind the logo too. I think that's what you are asking.

4. mhackney

Ok, here is the finished product. This is what I've been trying to do for over a year and the combo of Cyclops and BondTech QR extruders (and a lot of CAD and slicer trickery) made it a reality.

[​IMG]

I conceived this design/process over a year ago and until today have not been able to actually print anything that meets my quality expectations. This logo is encapsulated completely inside the transparent PLA. There is one .2mm layer of clear printed first then the 3 layers of the logo in smoke black translucent PLA are printed along with infill of the clear and then the entire back is infilled in clear PLA to make a 7mm thick disk. This will be the back side of a fly fishing reel with the customer's logo (natureboydesigns.com) embedded. It looks spectacular in person. Notice the subtle difference between this and the photo I posted above.

Skinny Kid and Mike Kelly like this.
  5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

that's awesome. Nice job!

6. florian

florian Member

This looks really nice. Be sure to post the link to your blog once you're ready to elaborate on the process from design to print of this. I'd be really interested in doing this kind of stuff with my new Chimera.

7. mhackney

Thanks. Yes, that's one of my projects over the Christmas holiday - do a lot of writing!