SOLVED Another LCD question

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Sarah Nicholson, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where I'm connecting up the LCD, and I'm a little confused.

The instructions say to remove the connectors from the LCD PCB and rotate them. Out of the box, my LCD PCB had the notch in the connectors facing towards the PCB edge, the way it's shown in the picture labelled 'Correct orientation'. Additionally, if I leave the connectors as they are and plug in the cables and bend them down so they come out the bottom, the red wire faces to the left as shown in the picture here. If I swap the connectors as instructed, the red wire is on the right side which is different to the picture.

Is the picture in the manual wrong, or have I got a different batch of LCD which has the connectors oriented differently? I'd rather check now before I get too much further on and have to redo things or worse short something out.

2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

If the notch is facing outwards, then you don't have to change anything ;)

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Then don't do it...

Don't think so, just checked my orientation and they are as shown on the picture.

No idea but it seems so...

I recommend that you leave the LCD case unmounted until you first powered up your box.
    Most people had issues with the contrast setting of the LCD. But to get to that knob you have at least to remove the left side of the LCD enclosure.

4. Sarah Nicholson

Thanks guys, I assumed I would leave them as is since that matches the picture. Just another confusing thing with slightly different batches of components I guess.

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Is it still wrong in terms of the printing on the board (does the print still show the notches the other way Sarah ? If so then make sure you swap EXP1 and 2 over (EXP 1 plugs into EXP 2 on the rumba).

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

The original problem was clearly that the silkscreen for those connectors was printed rotated by 180 degrees, if that was fixed then the legend would show both the notch in the right place and EXT1 would plug into EXT1 on the rumba and around 100 million bigbox owners wouldn't be greeted with no display on their first power up :D

7. Sarah Nicholson

No, the silkscreen is still wrong and shows the notches facing away from the PCB edge. Ah so that's why the connectors have to be swapped to the Rumba, it's actually making some sense now.

8. biline

biline Active Member

I can confirm the new batch does NOT need to be rotated 180 degrees.
    I did the rotation as instructed in the build manual and could not get the LCD to work, LCD just would blink and beep 3 times.
    I read some other posts about LCD issues and tried all the things mentioned then I read this post about the cable orientation.
    After putting them back to the original shipping orientation the LCD fired up with no issues

Attached Files:

#8 biline, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016