Any kits with the Kraken?

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by Miasmictruth, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Does any one know any good 3d printer kits that come with the Kraken or that can easily be upgraded?

My boss wants a 3d printer with at least 3 to 4 colors and tasked me with the search.

I know some good duel kits (waiting for my big box) but would like something that has been proven to work with a Kraken or at least a 3 to 4 color printer.

Any ideas would be much appreciated thanks!

2. mhackney

mhackney Well-Known Member

The SeeMeCNC Rostock Max is very easy to upgrade to a Kraken with the addition of a simple mount Kraken Konnector that I posted on Thingiverse last year. With any printer, the challenge will be figuring out where to mount 4 extruders and filament spool holders.

3. Miasmictruth

Thanks for the reply, do you have any particulars? The electronics boardbit comes with can support for extruders and hotends?

Since its more for work then an at home thing I can't really pitch something that I have to tinker with too much to get working.

4. mhackney

mhackney Well-Known Member

miasmictruth, it sounds like this is not really going to be an option if you can't tinker. I'll go ahead and tell you what you need but realize that any multi extrusion is going to take a dedicated, persistent effort to get good results. The more nozzles, the more effort it takes. The Kraken is a great device but it is not for the neophyte. Given your last comment in the last post, there is nothing on the market that I'm aware of that's going to fit your criteria.

If you decide to go the Rostock route, here's some info:

the Rostock Max kit comes with a RAMBo controller that can only drive 2 extruders. The easiest and most cost effective option to drive 4 extruders is the Panucatt AzteegX3 Pro controller. So, here's what you would need to build a Rostock with Kraken:

Rostock Max kit
    Azteeg X3 Pro controller
    3 additional NEMA 17 steppers
    3 additional ezStruders (you get these and the steppers from SeeMeCNC when you order the Rostock).

In addition to the above, you need a way to mount the 3 additional extruders and hold 3 additional rolls of filament. You can print your extruder holders or you can get the ezMount from TrickLaser. They also carry filament holders that mount on top. You'll also need to print my Kraken Konnector (find on thingiverse) to mount the Kraken to the Rostock.

Squeezing all of this stuff onto a Rostock is not a simple matter - it isn't for any printer. You can see how I did it on my Kraken thread at forum.seemecnc.com - search "kraken" and you'll find it.

5. Miasmictruth

Thanks a lot for your reply, I love thinking with my printer just not sure how much I could get away with tinkering on a printer at work lol.

On a side note this might make a fun personal project.