Any thoughts on why my test runs of Shippy have patterns in the hull?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by W1EBR.Gene, Sep 22, 2016.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I am using ABS at 231c and the Titan in a direct drive setup. I don't understand why Shippy's hull has these patterns. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Belt tension and the obligatory check your grub screws would be my first steps. After than perhaps confirm stepper driver voltages but that's less likely I think and anyway, always try the easiest thing first.

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I'll assume you are using the 0.4mm nozzle and 0.25mm layers, so are you using cooling? If so, turn it off for ABS as it looks like your interlayer adhesion is poor too. The patterning effect can be due to filament drag caused by the filament cooling too quickly as it is laid.

4. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Thanks, folks!

I think the belts and grub screws are good...

I use simplify3d but have not yet been happy with the results on this machine, so for consistency in debugging runs I have been using the pre-sliced Shippy gcode and manually turning off the fan.

I am using the 0.4mm nozzle and whatever the parms are for layer thickness that the pre-sliced Shippy uses. My only previous experience is with a Makibox A6 which I heavily modified and of which I would be very proud if I achieved the results I am getting with an untuned BigBox!

Gene

5. eca

eca Well-Known Member

First, re-slice the benchy. The original pre-sliced benchy has been known to cause problems. See if the problems persist.