Arfur V6 Conversion to a Createbot Mini.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Joules, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Joules

Joules Member

So whats with the weird title.... Well, its half a V6 added to my Createbot Mini that has clocked up over 1200hrs. I have other printers and they are all E3D hot end equipped so it just made sense to have a standard nozzle. The Createbot hot end is very similar to the V6 other than being a little bulkier and brass. My old nozzle is also somewhat worn and getting replacements in the UK is not so simple.

Having put an order in to E3D for a heat block, 30w heater, and thermistor kit just in case I needed them, delivery was very rapid of all parts... Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

First job, remove the printhead assembly from the Mini, all cables are terminated just above this block and its held in by 3 bolts. Very quick to remove and work on.

[​IMG]

The heat break isn't threaded, but caught by a grubscrew on the rear of this alloy bar. The loosened off hot end was slide out, at this point I couldn't undo the block from the heat break as it had plastic still within. A quick blast with a small hot air gun got the plastic soft enough to unscrew then pull out the plastic slug inside.

[​IMG]

You can see the break is threaded 6mm, ideal. I wasn't expecting the current heater to fit the V6 as it had always been a loose fit in the Mini's block so was expecting to change it, however on close inspection and a can of beer later, the problem was resolved.

[​IMG]

The now EMPTY can was cut and sanded to remove coatings and a strip cut to act as packing on the heater. The fit is now tight and hardly needed much of a nip to tighten it in the new block, spare heater into stock.

[​IMG]

I was also able to make use of the old thermistor, but we shall see how that works out in the long run. I should point out that I only use this machine with PLA, so it never really has a hard life.

[​IMG]

I had a couple of options at this point. The heat block is more offset than the original, I could have turned it the other way round, but decided I wanted easy access to that thermistor, so trimmed some of the cooling air duct to have some clearance round the block. If it causes me any issue I can add some insulation to the block if needed.

[​IMG]

The head assembly is now back in the printer and ready for testing and calibration. The whole job took about 30mins, writing this up with the photo's took longer.

Joules

2. Joules

Joules Member

Testing completed, once the PID settled with the new block, it's faster to warm up (less mass, better heat conduction). Extra cooling air on the block seems to make little difference. I don't see any major improvement in surface finish, but it's no worse so that's OK. The bonus for me will be having the option for smaller nozzles as I have already tested this machine printing at 0.05mm layers with success, but it's a bit like doing fine art with crayons, needs a smaller nozzle.

mike01hu likes this.