ASMBL : Assembly guide for Subtractive tool ?

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Sylvain, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Michael Pearson

There is folder in the thingiverse download with a nice set of pictures that show the process though.
    Does anyone here ever really RTFM anyway?!? ;)

Greg Holloway likes this.
  4. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

To be more precise, I'm looking for informations about :

• power supply of brushless motor (12 / 24 volts ? from where ?)
    • interfacing ESC with the Duet (wiring and firmware, config.g)

Best regards

5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

the brushless motor uses an ESC, dont connect a power supply directly to the motor, and yes they can be 12 and or 24v. I take 24v from the PSU and plug it into the ESC. Dont do this though as the ESC listed is for 12V.

Config files are on thingiverse. They should also tell you what pin-outs i used.

6. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Thanks !

7. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Do you power with 24v tool changer PSU are external 12 v ?

Best regards

8. yngndrw

yngndrw Well-Known Member

I was initially planning to use one of these RC battery eliminator circuits to convert from 24V to 12V, however I'm not particularly happy with the recommended ESC as it gets incredibly hot even without any load. I've ordered a better ESC which is suitable for 24V and has a much better rating - It also has an advantage of supporting the newer digital protocols and return telemetry such as RPM and current usage, although the Duet doesn't support that yet. (I'll probably implement support for this myself when I get a chance)
    BEC: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283773016698
    New ESC: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163832378405 (iFlight SucceX 50A V2 / Overkill, but I ordered a bigger one as I intend to change the mechanical design slightly and will be using a bigger motor with better bearings.)

My new design will use: (I'll use the current one to make the parts for the new one)
    Motor: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174067880441 (iFlight Xing 2806.5 1300kV)
    Collet shaft: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283421591101 (10mm version of the shaft, note that the flat portion is the same diameter of the shaft so it will need a collar to and bottom of the lower bearing)
    Lower bearing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273924562577 (3200ZZ Double Row Angular Contact / 10x30x14mm)
    10mm shaft collars: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283519187641 (Top and bottom of the lower bearing)

I'll flip the motor over so that it's mounted to the bottom part and the motor has strong enough bearings that it doesn't need an extra bearing for the pulley. One advantage of this motor is that it has a 5mm shaft so the pulley is much easier to get hold of. I'll use a belt ratio of approx 2:1 which will give a maximum speed of around 16kRPM, the max of the lower bearing. The upper bearing will be a generic 10mm bearing loosely constrained by the pulley, but all axial constraint will be provided by the angular contact bearing pack. I might also mount the ESC next to the motor for cooling, maybe with a little 3D printed fan that pushes onto the 10mm shaft. Same vacuum setup, in fact I'll prob use exactly the same part.

Sylvain: Most of the assembly is quite straightforward, but I would advise leaving the top bearing cover until the end. Attach both pulleys to the shaft such that the top bearing sits up slightly, then use the top bearing cover to add some preload to the two bearings. Also avoid cheap pulleys, mine vibrate like mad.

9. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Thanks for all these informations !

10. yngndrw

Quick update on the iFlight SucceX 50A V2 speed controller and the iFlight Xing 2806.5 1300kV motor as I've just received them. Just a quick no-load test on my workbench - Running it on 12V at around 9W resulted in absolutely no heating of the ESC. Under similar conditions, the EMAX ESC was unbearably hot. Obviously 9W is still very low, but it's already a big improvement and I did stall the motor at low power to make sure it could handle that as well. I didn't do any configuration of the ESC, I just ran it with the default settings using a standard PWM servo input from my servo tester.

I've uploaded a picture for comparison.

Attached Files:

#10 yngndrw, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  11. Sylvain

Sylvain Active Member

Nice !

Were you able to drive ESC with Duet ?

Regards

12. yngndrw

I'm still waiting on a collet so I haven't put it on the printer yet. My testing was performed using a standard RC servo tester (ToolkitRC WM150, but there's nothing special about it's output - It's just a standard RC servo PWM signal) so it should work just the same as the EMAX ESC.