ASMBL Power Supply and Vacuum

Discussion in 'ASMBL' started by smoki3, Jul 24, 2020.

1. smoki3

smoki3 Active Member

Hi,

I ordered all the parts for the ASMBL Tool. But I wonder how to realize the power supply. The ESC only supports up to 3S (12,6V). The Tool Changer unfortunately have 24 V.

For me it's also not clear what you use for the vacuum?

#1 smoki3, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Michael Pearson likes this.
  2. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

In addition to which vacuum I’m also curious whether the vacuum is somehow controlled by the Duet since you definitely wouldn’t want it on while the tool is inactive. From some of the Twitter discussions is sounds like Greg is going to post some firmware stuff fairly soon so I think more information is coming.

3. Michael Pearson

I’m ordering all the stuff on the Bill of Materials. Im confident by the time it all arrives and I get around to printing out the parts more info will be disseminated. Also need to dig into Andy’s GitHub page and start researching how to actually get the process working. So there’s time. Exciting times.

4. Paul Arden

There is also the latest Makers on Tap podcast with Sanjay to listen to while we wait, just added to my queue. And I am in the middle of the Hemera update, guessing my subtractive tool parts won't arrive here for a month or two so plenty to work on until then!

prcdslnc13 likes this.
  5. ryan mckenna

ryan mckenna Member

How much did all the parts cost?

6. dhamm1231

dhamm1231 Member

Go on getfpv.com or an fpv site of your choice. Look up a 6s capable Esc, there's a bunch, and do the math to select a compatible motor. 12v x motor kv is much different than 24v x the same kv. Look for something wound lower. If you were building a quad you would probably be looking at something between 1200-1900kv.

The responsible thing to do would be to do some chip size calculations along with your cutting rate to make sure you get a motor that is optimized for what you want to do.

I'll make some posts with the specs I choose once I get started on my tool.

7. Michael Pearson

I bought multiples of some items like belts, bearings, gears, bits etc. Including the CF-PETG i think i probably spent around $200. Had to have the small pulley shipped from England that was like $20 shipping for a $3 part. o_O Could not find it anywhere in US. Most of it has already arrived and is sitting in the basement waiting for me to inventory, start printing parts, and assembling. Alas, I must work my real job to pay for my hobby.

ryan mckenna likes this.
  8. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

E3D's video shows a hand-held vacuum (dyson) at 2:38

Some or all Dysons operate on ~21-22v. I found an old one on Ebay and I will report back on performance.

9. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

It's a Dyson clone, and 12v. I took it apart and removed it's control electronics and wired in a PSU directly to the motor. The 12v supply from the PSU is turned on / off via a mechanical relay controlled by the Duet.

10. yngndrw

yngndrw Well-Known Member

Which model did you use? Is it a clone of their upright, cylinder or hand-held vacuums?

I noticed that you have an enclosure on Thingiverse which you mentioned was for the ASMBL tool - Is that necessary or does the vacuum do a reasonable job on its own?

11. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, if anyone gets an old Dyson and plans to control it with a relay like Greg, you'll need one of the older models that use a standard DC motor.

Somewhere around 2010-2012 Dyson started using switched-reluctance motors which cannot be driven just by connecting to power.

Or better yet, just get a clone like Greg.

yngndrw likes this.
  12. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The case if there to provide some protection from broken components, or parts flying off the bed when using the subtractive tool. We have had collisions which have broken the endmill and other instances where the part being milled has detached from the bed and then thrown accross the workshop by the spindle.

The vaummum is there to remove the chips. It makes a horrid mess if you dont have it. It gets everywhere!

2020-04-09 14.31.03.jpg
    Image above with no vacuum.

2020-05-10 12.44.26.jpg

Above image of a similar part with the vacum installed.

The difference is huge!

13. Haytham Bennani

Just an FYI in case anyone is looking for the 3mm bore 16T pulleys (they're a pain to find), I found a UK eBay seller who stocks them, and I've picked up a set that just arrived. Bore is about 3.07mm, and fits perfectly. I also got the 20T version, which fits even better, but is too tall to allow for the lower end of the shaft to be inserted into the bearing (and would require a different spacing for the whole assembly).

I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way, just trying to help everyone out sourcing their parts (mine's going to be installed into my Jubilee when I get the time to make it happen).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT2-Pull...var=602102052810&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

yngndrw likes this.
  14. 1013D

1013D Active Member

15. Paul Arden

I had ordered the 16T 3mm pully from JUGETEK on Aliexpress because it stated clearly it had a 3mm bore however what they sent me is clearly 1/8” instead. That ebay seller is now out of stock of the 3mm bore 16T unfortunately. Anyone found another reliable source that has actually received a pulley and confirmed they are the right size?

EDIT: Just to note that I disputed the order with a picture measuring the bore and to their credit JUGETEK did provide me with a refund immediately.

#15 Paul Arden, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  16. Rene

Rene Active Member

@Greg Holloway what about moving this thread to the ASMBL-subforum?

Greg Holloway and yngndrw like this.
  17. Maël 3DPI

Maël 3DPI Member

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for all these informations. @Greg Holloway , could you give me more informations aout how to connect the ASMBL to the Duet board ? Thanks a lot

18. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

What would you like to know?

Attached is my config file. Match the wires to the pins.

Attached Files:

19. Maël 3DPI

Maël 3DPI Member

Thanks a lot for your answer ! Everything is ready for me, I've :
    T0 : V6
    T1 : V6
    T2 : Volcano
    T3 : ASMBL

But how you know how to match the wires to the correct pins ?

20. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

look through the config file for the PWM pin