SOLVED Assembly of E3D Hotends (Referred to Generic Instructions?)

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

In the build instructions here....

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Printer_main_assemblies:_Step_By_Step_Assembly_Process

it says....

"This is only a rough assembly guide. For full instructions please read the Documentation."

This is pointless, following the link gives you documentation for other printers, not including the BigBox, and a generic process which achieves the same end as the instructions you just left but with an assembly sequence (order) that is totally different and involves different components than you have for the BigBox.

Why waste an hour going round this loop, just follow the original instructions.

There is one point made in the generic instructions about the heatbreak (don't apply too much force or you will snap it) and some notes on the thermal compound, these could be included in the original instructions.

Could this rough guide comment be removed from the WiKi?

mike01hu likes this.
  2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

3. Old_Tafr

How do we get this changed then?

Best time to get useful feedback from people is as they build, afterwards their attention is on other things. Strike whilst the iron is hot.

4. Chase.Wichert

I might be able to put something together today, my hard part is that I don't have spare parts to take pictures of and what not, and I can't really take my BB apart since it is doing production printing... May be able to piece some pictures together in a BigBox E3D V6 assembly section.

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I wish I'd read the full instructions during initial build. While I was setting up for dual printing I decided to pull them apart and rebuild fully according to the full instructions. Somehow I missed the tightening step after heating on the original build and that led to some leakage. I also fitted both heater blocks upside down. Managed to correct one, but threaded the screw on the other and can't fix that one. Fortunately e3d sell all these individual components.

Old_Tafr likes this.
  6. Old_Tafr

Hi Spoon Unit, If we take the WiKi instructions as the reference document (it has to be one or the other and there are no specific BigBox instructions on the detailed document anyway) then could you suggest what needs to be added to the WiKi to make it complete? Then the WiKi section could be copied to the Documents section (listing the various printers) as the BigBox Dual procedure.

One doc always has to be the master and this should be stated in the WiKi and Docs section.

7. Chase.Wichert

Someone has just updated the HotSide link in the BB wiki to point to the actual HotSide information. So I think that is pretty good. I don't know if you need a BigBox section in the list of those other printers, as it can be found in the BB Wiki. Maybe need to change that list to say 3rd Party Printers.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

@Greg Holloway would be the best person to bring this up to unless you feel inclined to edit the wiki as you see necessary