IDEAS Astrosyn Dampers

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Miasmictruth, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

When fitting the Astrosyn Dampers on the y axis stepper, are people flipping the GT2 pulley so the toothed end is out from the stepper instead of in to account for the extra spacing the Damper produces?

I will be at this build step later tonight and want to fit the Damper right the first time. Thanks.

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, I did

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I was thinking of fitting mine. When you talk about the GT2 pulley, is this the one attached to the motor? Google makes me think it is. I guess the flip might be required in order to allow the grub screw to connect to something. Talking of screws, are the existing screw fitted initially sufficiently long?

4. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

Whats a good place to purchase these as have been having a hard time trying to find them in Australia?

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Madeinoz67 likes this.
  6. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

Cheers thanks for that

7. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Got my Astrosyn dampener the other day, now just waiting on my BigBox ;)

PsyVision likes this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Am I doing this wrong?

[​IMG]

After fitting this, no difference. Looking at it, I still saw the motor connecting solidly to the frame after rescrewing it all up and that's got to be where the noise is coming from. As it was touching I tried to put in some additional padding, as you can see, but no real benefit. Thoughts?

9. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Yes, that looks wrong. You need two short screws (I think I had to cut some down) to attach the damper to the motor by itself (through the holes without threads in), then attach the damper to the support bracket via the holes with threads in. Also, what is that black stuff between the mounting bracket and the frame? Is it your alternative to cork?

10. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't see some images at work as they're blocked but I remember the cork having a black edge from where it was laser cut.

11. Spoon Unit

Paul. Thanks for the input. And that makes total sense, as the attempted effect is to isolate the motor. By connecting them all straight through I've just provided a different path for the vibrations. Even then though, when I tighten up the screws at the back, the motor actually touches the frame. That's why I added a little extra buffer, though I knew by doing so I was potentially providing a new signal path for the vibrations. Let's see what happens when I get the damper fitted properly.

12. 69charger

69charger Active Member

Man do I wish the Y axis was a whisper quiet as the rest of the steppers. If It was I wouldn't even know the printer was printing.

13. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I hear the extruder motor more than anything with fast retract settings, and the fans, however the xy and z motors are very quiet. I did get the astrosyn damper.

14. Spoon Unit

OK. Just refitted the Astrosyn damper - this time properly. What a difference to the Y noise. The primary issue I had fitting it not having the right screws. The screws you want for fixing the damper to the motor are M3 6mm. I had one lying around as spares, post-build. Only 1. After a quick read through the manual I found we also used them fitting the RUMBA board. 4 screws for the board. All of a sudden, I felt 3 would be sufficient for the board :). OK. So that the damper to the motor. Second, fixing the damper to the frame part. I just found the shortest spare screws I had. They're slightly longer than you need, probably 10mm or something, but in any case, I used the shortest spares I had and that was just fine. Connected damper to frame and didn't touch the motor.

Next job was to fit it back to the main frame box. I loosely fitted all the screws first. Did up the two on the left (the ones that one above the other, with a slight down-push on the motor housing to take up slack on the pulley. Then I tightened the remain screw very gently, just barely to the grab point and no further. I didn't want to pull the motor to the frame at any cost. Plugged it all back in (well, yet again I forgot the motor first time round), turned off the steppers, moved the head to the top right, and then ran an Auto Home. Wow. Chalk and cheese. It's now just barely (if at all) noisier than the other motors. Really pleased I got that sorted.

Madeinoz67 and PsyVision like this.
  15. Chase.Wichert

The astrosyn damper I purchased came with the correct screws... Your's didn't?

16. Spoon Unit

Absolutely nothing came with it :(

17. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine didn't. I don't think they do from Astrosyn? Do some 3rd party suppliers add them?

18. Chase.Wichert

Apparently, I got mine from Ultibots, I'm in the US

19. Chase.Wichert

Ahh this was at the bottom of the page.

NOTE: UltiBots includes stainless steel M3x6 SHCS (x2) and M3x8 SHCS (x2) with each damper!!!

3 exclamations points means it is seriously exciting business.

20. Spoon Unit

Well at least that confirms M3x6 was spot on.