Auto Leveling

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Crashbombs, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Crashbombs

Crashbombs Well-Known Member

So I saw the video where they printed on a bed the was way out of level, and raised a couple of questions for me.

1. How necessary is a perfectly level bed with the BB? (Wondering from a kit stand point since I am putting this together myself.)
    2. Is it dynamic? Does the sensor take measurements before every move, or does it just check at the beginning to see how far off one side is compared to the others assuming a flat surface?
    3. Could the leveling software be manipulated in such a way, that you could leave an object on the bed and print around it?

Thanks guys.

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Hi Crashbombs...welcome.

1. the autolevelling will cope with most situations, personally though I'd say that the best results will always be with a level bed rather than relying on the tricks BB can do to sort itself out. Out of level beds are generally just a thing with 3d printers, most (like the BB) have set screws to adjust it out pretty easily.

2. No it's not dynamic, it's done at the start of the print and yes it assumes the surface is flat but given it's glass that's a relatively safe assumption to make

3. You can actually do this without levelling but it's far from recommended and only works for quite small objects (you'd need a lot of clearance to avoid the carriage and taller objects would crash with the XY axis rods). If you want to print multiple objects the best way is to print them all together layer by layer...most slicers can cope with setting this up easily.

Hope that helps...

3. Crashbombs

Crashbombs Well-Known Member

That helps a bunch! Thank you.

4. Stigern

Stigern Well-Known Member

My BB only measures the center value it seems, shouldn't it probe around in a pattern?

5. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Watch out: there are in fact two different infra-red bed management strategies, one for the Pro and one for the Dual. Somebody with a printer should explain!

6. Stigern

Hm, can't find anything in the menu on my Pro for autolevel specifics.

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Stigern - I have a dual so I'm afraid I can't help too much other than saying that I believe the Pro will measure the bed at specific points for you (9 of them?) to generate the levelling matrix. Have you set the z-offset and then followed the other steps in the manual?

I think there may be a video in the manual of the BigBox levelling procedure.

8. Stigern

I got mine pre-assembled. Just thought it would do it's autolevel procedure before each print. I will look into the manual.

9. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Auto leveling is part of the slicer profile and not an automatic feature. On the single you should see a G28 and a G29 command as the part of the start script. Not sure how it is handled in the dual.

Also, on the single it is measured in the 4 corners.

10. Stigern

Did a auto level procedure before this print now, but it seems it's not very acurate? Look at the parts to the left and right, right are not close enough and on the left they are too flat.

20160302_163224.jpg

Suggestions?

Lowering the Z offset would just squeeze it more all over?

#10 Stigern, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016