Avoiding Jams when used Direct.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Blithespirit, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Blithespirit

Blithespirit Member

I have seen a long thread on jamming and after a few days I solved my issue.

I wanted to make it easy if anyone has issues that there is a simple set of rules to follow.

This worked for me using the E3Dv6. 1.75mm Bowden/Direct.

Bowden does not seem to have issues at all and it seems Direct has the troubles if you miss things out. This was using PLA.

1st. Use all the parts that come with your E3Dv6:- Mechanical, - Electrical - even screws and washers.

2nd. Use the little black clip that is used for Bowden use in the top of the head even when using as direct.

3rd. Use a Bowden cable even with direct and make sure it goes to you extruder wheel (or as close as you can), I use a Bulldog XL and my Bowden is angled as close to my wheel as I can get it. The head is designed to fit a cable regardless of Bowden or Direct, otherwise the lining is too wide and can catch as the filament goes down.

4th. Use the supplied thermistor and set to right setting in your firmware.

5th. Use the supplied heater core, it's fast and powerful regardless of you current one.

6th. You may find it heats up very fast and printing will not start as it goes above your desired temp so run a M303 PID Autotune to calibrate your values to the head, mine were way out. Also set it hard using an M500 once your happy.

7th. I use the Bulldog XL mount & fan which cools my head without the need for the supplied fan mount but if you don't have this fit the fan that comes and align to your bottom fin rather than top.

Using this I get perfect none jamming prints where the last few days I have lost lots of hair! I found my head was reporting the wrong temperature and my PLA was so shiny it had to be too hot, then my head would be up and down on temp which caused jamming on the cooler side.

Follow the above and hopefully it will help you avoid my pitfalls.

Regards

Blithespirit

2. educa

educa Member

Hi,

I also have a Bulldog Xl extruder

Can you please tell me if I need anything else besides the v6 1.75mm universal kit?

I currently have a v5 hotend but will buy a v6 universal 1.75mm kit

My bulldog XL extruder has bowden connectors which you can screw in. Is this combined with the new v6 hotend (1.75mm) enough or do I need more stuff to mount ? I want to use it in a real bowden setup with about 40 to 50 cm of tubing (I believe this tubing is included in the kit?)

Kind regards,

Bart

3. Blithespirit

Blithespirit Member

Hello, a few easy steps but read carefully or you will have to start again from near the begining.

-don't use the Bowden screws
    -use the 1.75mm screw to feed in filament at the top
    -do not use anything in the bottom (out) feed

-Test the J-Plate holder with the heat sink included and try to push it up at an angle into the fan plate, you will see it cannot quite get there, grind a little away off the right hand side of the hole ( looking at it with fan facing you and at bottom), this should allow you to slide the J-Plate in including the head (it does not need much to be removed), flatten and push into the guide hole in the fan mount plate, then secure with the nut and bolt. make sure you place the 4mm hex screw that you need to fasten the J-Plate to the bulldog into the J-plate before you put the heat sink in place as once positioned you cannot feed it in later as the fins get in the way, the larger bolt will feed ok at the end.

-Once the head and plate is secured in the fan plate remove the face plate from the bulldog & remove the pressure wheel also, you have full access to the hobbed head now, slide a piece of Bowden tube into the heatsink and a thin washer over the tube(to take up the slack form the E3d different size J-Head) and then lower the bulldog onto the tube, mark it where you think it should be near the hobbed teeth. now remove the bulldog and replace the pressure wheel. then once again feed the bulldog onto the cable and check to see if the pressure wheel works smoothly (the pressure wheel frame has a hole for the cable to go through, it cannot be fitted after the Bowden is in place). if all is good secure with the two bolts from the J-Plate. if you did not feed the 4mm hex bolt in before mounting the heat sink you will have to remove all of it and start again.

Mount to your printer.

I hope this helps, it took me around 30 minutes to mount