Bad prints after upgrading to E3D v6 hotend

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by DiscusZ, Apr 21, 2018.

  1. DiscusZ

    DiscusZ Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am having one hell of a TIME since upgrading my anet A8 to a true E3D V6 hotend. All calibration prints I do are great, dimensionally sound, good layer adhesion etc. but I do and print some things and they fail, I can see layer issues , etc. I am at a loss as to why I have printed a few things that are perfect (X Belt tensioner, it is flawless), towel hangers great. I tried doing a new fan duct for part cooling (tried 3 times) failed 50% if the way. I tried a Benchy. it looked awesome, until it hit 51% then it went off the rails

    I need ideas :)

    Thanks
     
  2. Antoine

    Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2017
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    18
    Can you post pictures of the issues you are experiencing?

    The V6 is an all metal hotend, which allows it to reach much higher temperatures than PTFE/PEEK lined hotends. However, this makes it much more sensitive to retractions. If you are experiencing jams, make sure that you are not retracting anything above 1-2mm, as this causes the molten plastic to cool inside the cold end and jam. This is the most common issue for people switching over to V6 for the first time.

    You might have a slightly increased back pressure, so make sure your extruder is not stripping/skipping when printing. If it does, start by reducing the speed, acceleration and increasing the temperature.
     
  3. Brien Allison

    Brien Allison Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have also had some problems with my Anet A6 after installing the V6 heaterblock. If you have only installed the V6 heatblock assembly on the Anet A6/8 printer (Mk8 style extruder), you may have the same problem as me which is underextrusion with even medium material flow rates e.g. 0.2mm resolution, 0.4mm nozzle and 50 mm/s print speeds starts producing underextrusion.

    I've put this down to the Mk8 style heatbreak which has a PTFE liner that goes all the way down to the nozzle inside the heater block. I think the PTFE liner is insulating the top part of the heaterblock and drastically reducing the meltzone in the hotend, thus creating the underextrusion. The all metal V6 heatbreak is, as it is described, all metal so acts as part of the meltzone (the short part inside the heatblock) I think.

    The only counter for this is to reduce the material flow rate or install a complete V6 extruder assembly which I plan to in future. If you already have the complete V6 extruder assembly then ignore this post.
     
  4. Natari

    Natari Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same issue with my Anet A8 and had to increase the temperature and flow rate to compensate (for PLA I think I ran it at 215 degrees , and 115% flow rate). Ultimately, I ended up switching out the E3d nozzle with this one from Micro-Swiss which seems to provide better heat transfer and I've been able to run at normal temperature and flow rates since.
     

Share This Page