Basic Hermes ordered.

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Jai Stanley, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Hello chaps. I am increasingly frustrated with the bowden tube setup: I have only had one brief encounter with bowden before, and that was removed in a matter of days. Thus I have just ordered a Hermes extruder. Note this is NOT the proper tool-head (hopefully they'll be released soon).

My thinking is that I can try to make a bracket/adaptor for the toolchanger; or use it on nother printer and appraise it before spending on direct drive tool heads for the tool-changer. Either way; it'll be used (unless its crap; but I don't think it will be!).

I will post pictures/updates of progress once it arrives.

2. p3t3rp4nd4

p3t3rp4nd4 Active Member

3. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

There is another Hemera tool coming out later today, it is to upgrade from a V6 bowden tool and uses those components.

hemera_upgrade_01.JPG hemera_upgrade_02.JPG

4. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

That is great news finally, now will this be on the general page or will this be behind the secret link for the TC order.

5. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Guessing that's a printable one (the other one states it is intended to have several parts machined). So this printable one would be cool for existing owners.

However unfortunately the hob drives don't seem to be available separately in the store at the moment, almost everything else is there from what I can see. Obviously I'd like to re-use my hotside and avoid buying the full kit. Hopefully it gets added.

6. Ben Kay

Ben Kay Well-Known Member

Greg, do you mean another design of printed parts, or another release on the E3D store of a Hemera extruder kit?

Jai Stanley likes this.
  7. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

I am guessing that is what greg meant by

but I think you will only get to keep the block and the heater/sensor cartridge as the heat-break and heat sink are built into the extruder.

8. Ben Kay

True, still could be interesting...as long as 4 Drive Hobbs and 4 Idler Hobbs doesn't exceed £143.60 (£17.95 each) then it would still be a cheaper option than buying the full direct drive Hemera kit.

9. Paul Arden

Exactly, and then I won't have 4 full hotsides laying around with nothing to do.

Ben Kay likes this.
  10. Jai Stanley

Tits....

This is what you get for having the hump with your printer and jumping the gun!

The Hermes will find a home in either the toolchanger or another printer either way: It depends on how different the tool-head kit is I suppose. From Gregs image above; it looks like the only components I will need to make a complete tool head are a fan and the delrin support/interface.

I intend to design up a replacement part for above the toolchager support posts that incorporates a connector so a whole tool head can be quickly removed from the printer and swapped out: 4 pins in for the extruder, and 4 pins back out for when a bowden head is used; if you see what I mean. Untill I build a 8/16/60000 head printer; I would like to be able to swap in and out heads.

11. Paul Arden

Guessing we'll need to be doing up new wiring harnesses as well since existing extruder cables probably are probably not long enough to use for the tools. No big deal, just another thing to be done.

12. Jai Stanley

I am a bit frustrated.. I directly asked the customer services assistant; saying that I need a direct drive for my tool-changer. They didn't mislead me; saying they're releasing the Hermea later today but said nothing about the TC kit. My fault for jumping the gun; but its annoying. FFS.

Anyway; If it's possible: can we have a little clarity as to exactly what is/will be available. For instance: the Hermes kit I have ordered can clearly be used on the TC; but will the TC specific head have machined parts etc? I'd like to know if I f***ed up ordering too soon. Again (titan extruders can F the F off).

13. Paul Arden

Just confirmed with chat that the hobb drive is not available separately at the moment.

14. Ben Kay

Jai, I think you've ordered the right thing...it seems the idler and drive hobbs are not going to be made available right away, so your only option is the full direct drive Hemera kit.

Then it sounds like Greg is working on 2 adaptations for the Hemera to the TC/Motion System.
    1. As the thingiverse link posted above....this in an ideal world needs new aluminium machined pieces.
    2. A second tool design (as images posted above), yet to be released on Thingiverse, which utilises the existing TC tool aluminium pieces, and therefore just requires new plastic printed pieces (and maybe extended wiring as Paul points out).

So you've not ordered anything wrong...the only disadvantage would be a slight financial one IF (!!!) they launch the drive and idler hobbs separately.

15. Paul Arden

Indeed, the full kit is only really a small premium if you want it right now and I guess you have spare parts from it. If they release the metal/POM pieces for sale you can always buy those and upgrade later from the printed mount.

Unfortunately I don't have any other 24V printers with bad hotends laying around to make use of the stuff I'd have left over after the change. Still very tempting though. Maybe I should upgrade two of my tools :)

16. Ben Kay

Also discussed with live chat, it doesn't seem there's any immediate plan to release the idler or drive hobbs as separate parts, though I think the message has been passed to the wider team as I guess there were a few of us asking at the same time :)

17. Paul Arden

Idler is there. But not much use without the hobbs. Actually why do they still call it an idler when it is now driven from both sides, there isn't actually an idle side anymore. I guess it's just easier to continue to use the term.

18. Ben Kay

Yeh that confused the person on web chat too, they thought the "idler kit" included the hobb, but it doesn't.

19. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

is it out yet:D

20. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

I mean you'll need to have a V6 Bowden Tool to upgrade it to the Hermes Tool. It is only printed parts and will be posted to thingiverse shortly.

Jai Stanley likes this.