Basic Hermes ordered.

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Jai Stanley, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

I believe the motor end is a JST PH 2.0 6-pin connector (with only 4 populated). For the Duet end, not completely sure of the type but the Duet that came with my Toolchanger had a bunch of spare housings and pins for those ones so I plan to use them.

Killercds likes this.
  2. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Anybody gotten around to make a molex micro connector adapter for the toolheads yet? Or do I have to? :)

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I'ts on my todo list, but please feel free to design (and share) one yourself ;)

@Greg Holloway : It looks like the part cooling fan adapter is all of a sudden missing on Thingiverse.... (or I'm overlooking it...).

mhe likes this.
  4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

My bad updated some files and forgot to put them back, reploaded now. They are the same for both tools anyway.

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  5. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Also @Greg Holloway , if we do a pluggable printhead system with Molex, it would be grand to be able to separately purchase not only the TC plates but also the machined dock interface where the 2 prongs of the parking holders go in, would that be a possibility? Because shelling out for a full V6 tool only to convert it to Hemera would be stupid expensive.

Killercds likes this.
  6. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Yup, am looking at what can be done now.....

Jonas, Killercds, Ntesla66 and 2 others like this.
  7. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

You're the man, as always!

Greg Holloway likes this.
  8. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Morning chaps.

I have the Hermea installed (loads of photos and details to follow) but the TLDR review is as follows:

The extruder is absolutely EXCELLENT; on a different machine (please note this is my personal view, and reflects my current feelings: don't be offended). This might change in the next few days; I am trying to CAD up a new extruder design that uses parts I already have (clone and genuine BMG parts and the heatsinks, fans, etc from the bowden heads). The reason being is two-fold: Firstly, weight (lots of ringing, but this was expected and can be mitigated with different acceleration/jerk for this tool head). Secondly, and this is my main reason for looking at desining another, the geometry. The hermea setup on this machine makes the extruder much 'wider' than 'tall'...

The width has meant I can't use the (current) brush purge/wipe etc. It means the dock has to be offset on the machine in two axis and with four of them, it will be very tight when all tools are docked. The retention of the tool when it is docked is a little 'wobbly' which has meant I had a devil of a job getting a reliable pick-up and drop-off (the secret was slowing the 'in' move quite a lot).

The print quality however is EXCELLENT in comparison to the bowden tools. I can get MUCH better tolerances on mechanical parts due to the very fine extrusion control; and my frustrations with the bowden setup have been alleviated: the extrusion is consistant finally!

I'll be back later with photos and more first impressions...

PS: remember the stepper motor is a 1.8 degree variant - this took me much longer than it should have to realise (in my defence I was tired as hell becasue I was doing it at stupid o'clock in the morning!).

Rob Heinzonly and mhe like this.
  9. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

I had mine for tow days now, It has nothing but joy using it, I guess the bowden system is not for me, I was not able to tune it to produce good prints and suffered a lot of hot end blockage, uneaven extrusion and stringing. on the other hand the Hemera was easy to setup and tuned in a few tries not much. I have to say it is a tight fit in the TC but it fits none the less, I slowed down the pickup and release a bit to avoid mishaps My next step is to try flexible filaments I am sure with this performance it will not have any issues, will let you guys know how it goes. and I am very close to a good profile for the TC on PrusaSlicer a few tweaks and it should be ready for sharing.A very well designed Extruder in my opinion well done E3D..

Killercds and mhe like this.
  10. JB24

JB24 Member

@Greg Holloway - any particular reason your tool for the Hemera has the heat sink on the right when looking from the front of the motion system? I am thinking of mirroring it since my bed is not to far from the z axis rail.

11. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

Ya know I was planning on buying one even though I've already ordered Nimble's just to try it and see how well it works. BUT... After looking at the Thingiverse posting and seeing how large and complex this approach is I'm now hesitating. The Nimble only requires ONE part be printed and it's an easy bolt on mod to what we all already have. Going with the Hermes looks like a major jump into a rabbit hole. Beside that I already know first hand that the Nimble solves all the problems I see with the Bowdens and I only added 9.4 grams to the tool. The Hermes adds ten times that weight.

Edit... That's 94 grams not 9.4. Sorry.

#51 Andy Cohen, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I tried to keep the nozzle as close the z endstop as possible. Other than that, no reason really.

13. Beat

Beat Active Member

Please, please go ahead and order it. We're all relying on you to make the comparison. :)

14. cj.matthes

cj.matthes Member

I'm actually quite surprised that none of you fellows are pissed about having to buy 4 tools again?
    I can't believe that e3d didn't know about the shortcomings of the bowden tool and they knew they would release the hermera just a few month later. Why not include us beta testers ( even though the machine is released IMHO it's still beta) of theire toolchanger systems?

15. Andy Cohen

yeah... you are correct. Now doubt E3D already knew that the Bowdens were not going to work all that well with a lot of tool changing and small tool paths. I knew it before I ordered, but I don't have issues with the cost (I respect that most other DO though). This may be 1 reason why I am am balking over buying a Hemera. Trick me once shame on you, twice shame on me. If it were my business I would recognize the EXTREME value of the customer's relationship and experience and I would have discounted the cost of the Hemera replacements.

Beat likes this.
  16. Andy Cohen

I may... but really. E3D is getting a heckalot of free exposure from me with the TC, the Titans, the V6 etc... at this point they need to realize that they probably should be sending me an eval unit as so many other companies tend to do. Such as... Zesty. Their review in the context on the TC will be on the feed in early January. They will be getting a very good review.

Beat likes this.
  17. Jai Stanley

Pissed is the wrong word. I am a bit 'annoyed' that when I ordered, there was an implication that changing the order in any way there would be a delay in delivery: insinuating you had to buy the BOM they had put together. It meant I bought four Titan's that are quite fronkly: utter toss. I also knew I was thinking more with my heart than my head, and getting in so early that I would no doubt have to make expensive changes anyway.

As they say; hindsight is 20/20 and I had little experience with bowden setups; I gave it a go. They weren't for me.

This is another reason I didn't buy four Hermeas. I'm glad I didn't. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic extruder: the quality I am getting now is fantastic; but there are things I dont like about it. Loading and unloading really isn't as easy as I would like it to be, it's heavy and as mentioned: it's too wide for me to consider ideal for this printer.

I'm 90% (well, 80) through designing/prototyping a BMG based extruder. The first prototpye is 3.6mm too short (nozzle position) and my CAD skills are slow, so I'm currently fixing that. In the hand though: its tall, compact and feels a LOT lighter than the Hermea. Will it perform as well? Probably not, but I think it will be good. Well, hope.

Also worht mentioning: E3D never sold this machine as a complete 3D printer. They said, basically, its a vanity item for hobbyists that NEEDS development. I can't get pissed having signed up for that. I can say though: you can do the same a LOT cheaper; and I probably will. Next project is a machine with cheap parts where appropriate, and quality E3D parts where I can't replicate required tolerances/parts at home. If you want a complete machine; or if you want a project: wait a little or design it yourself. The tool head is available on their website: that is a very good purchase that will give you a compatible platform with lots of DIY and E3D's own parts.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  18. Jai Stanley

Pictures of my install as promised...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mhe, Kyle Schwab, Ntesla66 and 2 others like this.
  19. Jai Stanley

Note: For tool position 2: I used the supplied stepper motor wire, removed the sheath, twisted the coil pairs and it just about reached the driver plug on the board.

My machine uses copper block PT100 thermistor, Nozzle X and the high capacity heaters. All fit fine: but had to bend the heater cartridge wire support a little. The large plug fits inside the Hemera tool. The PT100 connector is longer and fits nicely too.

Also: the end-stop wire on the tool head has been re-purposed with a std thermistor cartridge to give me a tool position chamber temp.

20. Ben Kay

Ben Kay Well-Known Member

Have wired up my first Hemera tool also.

Findings :

- Supplied heatbreak fan has different connector than original loom...need to swap fan connector to Molex Micro-Fit 2 pin...then can use existing loom.
    - Supplied heater cartridge has no mid-line molex connector...just 2 ferrule connectors at the end of long leads...I used the original heater cartridges instead.
    - Supplied stepper cable was too short. I bought the below to use instead..Ends needed wire order swapping around to match original colouring (for consistency)..Proved to be more or less the perfect length once the wire routing is tidied up...the Duet board end can actually fit without re-doing the connector to the Duet style...it pushes on fine but not perfect for OCD types : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W42T726/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- If you cut the heatshrink and zip-ties at both ends of the loom cable sheath, it's possible to get the stepper wires up the same sheath as long as you take the stepper end connector off, then simply re-insert the pins once fed through...once you re-do heatshrink, it looks stock.

Guy Isely and Killercds like this.