Basic Hermes ordered.

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Jai Stanley, Nov 29, 2019.

1. blarbles

blarbles Well-Known Member

There is a lot of hate for the Titan. I think in terms of a long Bowden it isn't a great choice. I had mine working but the moment something was off, like the nozzle being just barely too close to the bed, it skipped or chewed filament. That said I do not think it is a universally bad extruder. I've been using 4 in my almost direct drive setup (see farther down in this forum topic) and have had no extrusion issues across all 4 with many prints.
    • Was the Titan a good fit for a 790mm Bowden? Probably not.
    • Was E3D going to sell us a competitor's Bondtech extruder? Of course not.
    • Did E3D know they were coming out with Hemera eventually when they started shipping ToolChangers? Probably.
    • Should E3D have delayed TC even more for Hemera or announced the Hemera early before they had something sell? No, does not make good business sense.
    • Were you given the option to exclude Titan's with your order without affecting anything else? Yes.
    Given all of that the only complaint I would have is E3D did not share just how much tweaking would be needed to get the Titan's working with this Bowden setup. Aka it is a pain in the butt. As others have mentioned the TC is not for beginners. I ordered the TC kit with the view that I would try Bowdens, but ultimately I would switch to a direct drive setup or nimble (for so many reasons that don't even have to do with the Titan).

I think if you were going to wait for anything you should considering waiting for E3D (or other manufacturer) to pair a compatible pancake stepper with the rest of the Hemera to save space and weight. I'm running pancakes on my titan setup and they're working fine.

mhe, Killercds, p3t3rp4nd4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Killercds

Killercds Member

I also managed to get a Hemera wired up onto the ToolChanger this week. Right now I'm trying to tune one in before attaching more.
    Don't Forget:
    Change the amperage in CONFIG.G
    Change the Z OFFSET in CONFIG.G
    • The Titan extruders use 1680mA
    • The Hemera only uses 1330mA
    I also found I had to calibrate my steps per mm, so check that for yourself.
    It seems that the heatsink fan's cable was long enough to go through the existing sleeving for the loom, and so was the included motor cable for the Hemera.

What I plan on doing is buying some of the "Molex Micro-Fit 3.0" connectors to match what's used on the other ToolChanger parts, then crimping those onto the heatsink and motor wires for "Modularity".
    Though for now I think I'm going to leave these drives on for the foreseeable future :D

[​IMG]

Guy Isely and mhe like this.
  3. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

I was/AM annoyed too and I made sure I let the e3d folks know it last April at MRRF. You do NOT help yourself when you put out something you know will have issues even when the intended market are wonks who are into making it work better. Though I wanted it and I'm not in a position where I have to count the pennies as much as others. My original plan was to go with the Techild extruder which is DD and is super compact, but alas like sooo many other things in the 3DP world it does not seem to be a real product.
    Note that the Nimble that I have is not a V1 nor a V2. More like a beta in-between the 2 products and as such the V2 may be quite different. Mark at Zesty tells me not, we will see. However, loading and unloading is so freakin easy that I can change filament colors manually per tool in seconds while the tool is parked without the need to pause.

4. Ben Kay

Ben Kay Well-Known Member

I'm still building my Hemera's, presumably all the tool change scripts need updating with new pick-up/drop positions in X and Y right?

5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Ben Kay Yes, all positions do change. And do not forget the Z offset (especially in tpre0.g -- tpre3.g) !!
    I'm building my Hemera's as well. Hope to have them ready this weekend.

Killercds likes this.
  6. Ben Kay

I can't remember how we did the first time, is best method to jog the head into rough correct position and read off x/y values?

7. Rob Heinzonly

@Ben Kay It's basically the same as with comissioning (step 10 till 17) , but then with different coordinates. Next step will be to set these coordinates in tfree, tpost and tfree.

8. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

Yeah but you really HAVE to do that anyways even if you go with the Titans.

9. twam

twam Member

10. Rob Heinzonly

@twam The gear wheels.

11. twam

twam Member

Hmmm ... They're not listed at the Hemera overview page. Do you have a link?

12. jannau

jannau Member

The gears are not available separately. So you need to buy the Hemera bowden kit, the heatbreak and you will have only the bowden adapter as leftover part.

13. Rob Heinzonly

@twam There's no link to that. But I have two Hemera's myself, and the gear wheels are definitely part of it ;). Maybe they can't be ordered seperatly.

14. Ben Kay

Hobb gears not available to order separately, this is what we were battling with on day 1, when a bunch were ordering Hemera's.....our comments were passed to the relevant team back then...but nothing's changed, I suppose there's not much incentive to offer them separately at this point.

15. twam

twam Member

I ordered a full Hemera for now. I'm hoping that there will be an option to order the gears in the future as well or an 'ToolChanger Upgrade Kit'. Even if it is only saving a few bucks I don't have unused parts laying around at the end.

16. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

There is a Hemera ToolChanger kit coming soon......

Guy Isely, mhe, twam and 1 other person like this.
  17. yngndrw

yngndrw Well-Known Member

What are we meant to do given that our queue positions are getting discarded in January?

I have only just received an email (Searched my email, no earlier emails) informing me that the toolchanger is available and that I need to order before January otherwise I'll lose my queue position. I'm now rushing to try and work out what I need to order in order to get either a Hemera direct drive or Hemera bowden setup.

I intend to just start with a single extruder setup to start with and upgrade from there (I have a Prusa i2 currently as I've put off upgrading while I waited for this, so the motion system itself is a massive upgrade for me) so do I need the duet expansion board? It looks like I just need to re-map T0 onto the main Duet board.

Also is the wiring loom going to be of any use to Hemera setups or should I just wire it from scratch?

It's a shame that the printed parts aren't available for purchase as my current printer is no-longer printing as well as I'd like so I'm going to have to print a set of parts on that and then re-print the parts on the new printer.

18. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat: got the mail last week and a "you'll lose your place if you don't order this week" yesterday. I'm looking to do two Hemera Direct, two Hemera Bowden, and it's not at all clear to me what I order and how many pieces I'll have to throw away.

There are two places where I'm diverging from standard TC:
    • Use Hemera Bowden instead of titan for two tools: seems pretty straightforward

• Use Hemera direct drive for two of them:
      • seems like you have to buy a full v6 toolhead and a full Hemera and have overlapping extra pieces
      • the "upgrade" path https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4008778 uses the dock bracket and plate from the v6 head, throws away the rest(?)
      • the "hemera tool" path https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4006801 seems to require nothing from e3d but the hemera (not even the aluminum plate?) but I'm not clear where the dock bracket comes from (do they assume you are replacing an existing tool with bracket)?
    I'll make a stab tomorrow, even if it means skipping the hemera direct drive for now and just ordering two hemera bowden tools.

Paul

19. yngndrw

yngndrw Well-Known Member

The problem as far as I can see with using the Hemera in place of the Titans in the bowden setup is that the acrylic is drilled for Nema 17 mounting holes and the hemera mounting holes seem to be slightly different. It looks like you can't sandwich the acrylic panel between the motor and the Hemera as the as the Hemera relies on the built-in spacing.

I'd be reluctant to go modifying the acrylic panels as I don't know if E3D have any specific plans for the proper mounting and I'm not sure if they will be available as spares or not.

Good luck with your build, hopefully I've missed something and they just drop in place - If so please let us know as I imagine that there are quite a few people interested in this. For my own build, I might just buy a single toolhead and a motor for my existing Titan so that I at least have a solid printing platform to re-print all of the required parts - Then I can sort out direct drive and Hemera setups once some better direction has been given.

Have I missed any updates on the progress of the toolchanger? The last thing I saw on the blog regarding the toolchanger was the one about reaching design lock in April.

20. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

I’m between a rock and a hard place... I really don’t want to buy Titan’s and later discard them. I’ve use similar style extruders before and want to avoid it...

I may just buy the limited pieces (motion system, tool changer head, v6 tools) and shove it in the closet until e3d figures it out.