BB Pro Not Getting the entire 300mm Z-Height?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by JohnEsc, Apr 27, 2016.

1. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

I wanted to test @Alex9779's redesign of the Octopi Cam with the 25 degree tilt for capturing a timelapse so I chose a rocket plane that I could print without wasting a lot of filament cause of the (Vase mode) spiral printing in S3D. I chose the file that was recommended for upscaling and with the following build volume settings of 300 x 200 x 300 for my BigBox Pro, I used the S3D Edit menu option, Scale to Maximum Size which in turn made the model size 118.46 x 69.25 x 290.00. However after completion of the print the tip of rocket didn't finish printing and Octoprint is reporting that the current height is at 289.77 after finishing the print. When I use the S3D Cross Section View and enter 289.77 in the Z -axis, it seems as if the tip should have completed but according to the Z size of 290 it obviously should've kept printing a bit more. @Greg Holloway Is there a setting somewhere else that may need to be changed that caused this to happen? I included a link to the timelapse video below so you can see the last few seconds.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Timelapse Video:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0k0mvqc78s9mr2/RocketPlaneFor2xScaleup_20160427020958.mpg?dl=0

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes the default firmware has a smaller size. Newer firmware has this increased to the full 300.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm strange in the original Pro firmware it was 280....

4. JohnEsc

I'm pretty sure I followed most of the advice here on the forum to update the firmware successfully. I used the Octoprint Add-in called Firmware Updater which uses avrdude on the backend cause that seemed to be the simplest solution. I used the firmware on @Josh's Github: https://github.com/joshuarowley42/BigBox-Pro-Marlin

Should I be using one of @Alex9779 I find the Github page to be so overwhelming, I can't even tell whether there's a Pro firmware update available or not... A guide to updating the firmware would truly be beneficial @Greg Holloway I'm doing my best over here but I know messing with firmware could be detrimental which always has me hesitant.

#4 JohnEsc, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Which one? Mine? All gone since yesterday... No Pro version of me up anymore... I can't (don't want to, because it is time consuming) test it.
    I would make the config if someone will give feedback and test it but just doing with no feedback is wasted...

6. JohnEsc

Not specifically yours @Alex9779 I find the Github site to be overwhelming/confusing for anything. I just can't seem to understand it... Commits, Branches, Releases. I feel like l never know which is the latest file and which is the correct filetype that I should be using in this particular case of uploading the firmware for the BigBox.

I noticed you didn't have anything for the Pro when I looked at your Github page earlier. Thanks for all that you're doing for the BigBox.

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I have to agree. E3D also did not use the "release" page to publish but has the compiled file only in the repo itself.

This is the lastest offcial Pro firmware: https://github.com/joshuarowley42/BigBox-Pro-Marlin/blob/master/Marlin.cpp.hex

8. JohnEsc

That's exactly the link that I used in the OctoPrint Firmware Updater when you assisted me back on this forum post #22:
    http://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/firmware-flashing-guide.708/page-2

@Greg Holloway Any advice?

9. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Download the source, install Arduino's IDE then compile and flash over USB.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

How far can you move with the LCD after homing? Where does it stop?

11. JohnEsc

12. JohnEsc

I'll check when I get home... How do you advise I test this? Manually, using the LCD and moving the Z axis as far down as it will go, is that what you mean?

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

For example but that is a pain. You can just home and then with OctoPrint controls or the console G1 Z500 F3000. No worries the firmware will only go to its setup max if you homed before.

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Holymoly, no looked since earlier. Didn't know you had flashed the firmware already, hmmm! I'll leave @Alex9779 to it :p

15. JohnEsc

I'm going thru your steps @PsyVision one step at a time from your Firmware Flashing Guide forum post: http://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/firmware-flashing-guide.708/

Fingers crossed cause I'm on a MacBook Air, I think I have compiled it in the Arduino application, just need to get home to connect to the BigBox.

16. JohnEsc

The Z stops at 280 after a G28 and the G1 Z500 F3000!!! and I tried a number of things from @PsyVision Firmware Flash Guide with info from @Spoon Unit and @richgain but no luck!

I don't seem to be setting up the file structure correctly in the Arduino folder... This is my latest attempt but have not tried cause now I'm printing my next project.

#16 JohnEsc, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    PsyVision likes this.
  17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

So to summarize your actual installed firmware stops at Z280 and you are not able to compile a new one, are you?

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok so here the RC3 version from E3D fresh compiled... Try this one...
    Flashing works?

Attached Files:

19. JohnEsc

Can i use this file with the Firmware Updater Octoprint Add-in? It seems @Rob Heinzonly was able to use it successfully for his firmware update for this dual...

20. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@JohnEsc :

Yes, no problem. Remember to do this when Octoprint server is disconnected from the Rumba.