BB1.1 Dual Titan setup

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Paul De Smet, May 30, 2016.

1. Paul De Smet

Paul De Smet Member

I started with BB1.0 dual an decided to move toBB1.1 dual hybrid Titan MBL. I used the motors in the Package. These 2 extruder motors are 200 step stepper motors instead of the previous 400 step stepper motors.
    I installed Alex9779's firmware -hybrid-Titan-MBL (RC6).

Question 1 : Do I have to change anything on the stepper drivers. Jumper ? Voltage ?

I changed the screw for the x-as end-stop so that the nozzle of the right extruder is above the 0-line of the bed.
    When doing autohome the printhead moves to a point indicated on the display as X30 Y30 Z0.
    Looking where the nozzles are at that point in relation to the bed :
    - left nozzle is at X0-line and the right nozzle is at X68-line.
    When I want the right nozzle to be at the X0-line of the bed, I have to introduce on the display X= -38.

Question 2 : Is that the correct way ? I want my the right direct driven nozzle to be the main one. The left Nozzle is the bowden one for support or second colour.

Were will the correction of the -38 to be applied ?

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope...

That's correct...

Also correct, that is the Z safe homing spot I defined...

That cannot be, the nozzle offset is 38 by design, if right is at 68, left must be at 30...

That is also correct..
    But the setup and the firmware you chose is that your LEFT nozzle is the main nozzle.
    When printing with both or the right one only you have to set your nozzle offset either in the slicer (I do NOT recommend that!) or with the M218 command in your startup code script (example "M218 T1 X38").
    With that set Marlin calculates the correct position no matter what tool is selected you alway set X0 for example and then Marlin moves either left nozzle to X0 (tool 0 selected with command T0) or the right one (tool 1 selected with T1).

For the setup E3D describes it is correct but for that what you want (and what I wanted) it is not.

That is why I setup the "mirrored" firmwares!

Using a "mirrored" firmware right nozzle is tool 0, left is tool 1. This matches the default printing style better IMHO because left is the support extruder, right is my main. And if I print single nozzle only right is the main too.
    Printing single nozzle is then not as mind breaking because I do not have to set up the offset right which is mandatory in the standard setup because the coordinates wouldn't be correct if not...

wahatever likes this.
  3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe this may help to understand the options...

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW:
    E steps are designed to be changed anyways, it is just the default value that might trick on you. In the firmware the default value is for the 200 steps motors...

5. Paul De Smet

Paul De Smet Member

Looking where the nozzles are at that point in relation to the bed :
    - left nozzle is at X0-line and the right nozzle is at X68-line.

That cannot be, the nozzle offset is 38 by design, if right is at 68, left must be at 30...

I agree, the left nozzle is at 30

6. Paul De Smet

Paul De Smet Member

If I understand correctly I should also use the Mirrored MBL Firmware.

I connected
    - the left nozzle with the bowden extruder on the back and the Filament on spool 1 (left)
    - the right nozzle withe the direct extruder on the x-axe and the filament on spool 2 (right)

Is that compatible with the mirrored dual MBL firmware ?

The left extruder motor is connected with E0, the heater with HE0 and the temp with the back PT100
    The right extruder motor is connected with E1, the heater with HE1 and the temp with the front PT100

Is that correct, or should that be switched also when I want right nozzle to be the main and the left to be the support

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

As I explained in the thread linked two posts above the spool the extruder is connected to is no relevant...
    Important is to what on the RUMBA you connected the left and right side.

Nope this must be switched to use the mirrored firmware...

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you connected your apmlifier boards like this and this then the upper one is for hotend 0 and the lower one for extruder 1 as you described above and the you gotta swtich the PT100s too, or you switch the connectors to the amp boards, the connector to the RUMBA is not switchable...

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh and you can run it like this if you switched but remember you spool "1" feeds tool 1/extruder 1/hotend 2 displayed on the right side on the lcd and spool "2" feeds tool 0/extruder 0/hotend1. That's the reason why I mounted the bowden Titan on the right side too...

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh and again something!
    Before you really switch think about how you define "main" extruder. If you main should have the lowest number then you have to do what I said.
    If you just wanna print with the right one, then go for my profile, there you can select the left or the right extruder WITHOUT bothering to set the offset right for single extruder prints...

11. Paul De Smet

Paul De Smet Member

I followed your advice and switched the cables so the 1 is now the right extruder (direct titan ).
    Thanks for the help.
    I noticed that the docking should be at X108 instead of the current X70. I presume that it is best to put that in the starting en ending Code.

12. Paul De Smet

Paul De Smet Member

Is there also a standard Simplify 3D profile linked with the mirrored hybrid Titan ?

I must admit that at the start it was much clearer than it is now due to all the different setups possible.
    It is good to have the forum, as the official E3D-support is rather minimal. They should normally provide in the BigBox wiki the various options, settings, firmware, Simplify 3D and update that when necessary. But that does not happen.

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

14. Paul De Smet

Paul De Smet Member

Thanks. You have done a great job !