Bed Adhesion

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by xreymason, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

L'oreal elnett Satin on a heated bed works for me. Yeah take the glass off and give it a coat immediately before you start printing. I'd knock your Z offset down a hair too for good measure.

PsyVision likes this.
  2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

She is!

I just spray it on whilst on the glass whilst on the printer, hot or cold. Not tons of it tho

3. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Good for a few prints or every time?

4. Kanedias

Good for a few prints, especially if you don't print the dead centre every time.

5. Syko_Symatic

So it does not look like this stuff I have is any good. Should it be tacky to the touch? This is not. It also seems the main issue is the skirt not sticking and pulling up the rest of the print with the traversals. Is there a skirt speed setting in Simplify? I can't find it.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Skirt speed is the main speed * first layer speed multiplier...

7. Syko_Symatic

So it runs at the same speed as the first layer? Maybe I should just remove it?!

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

What remove? The skirt?
    I always print a skirt if I do not need a raft or brim.
    The skirt is good to get the extruder going even if you prime it before you start...
    And if your skirt does not adhere any good then why should our first outline be any better?

9. Syko_Symatic

It's just part of the skirt. The first 2 skirts are fine but the 3rd seems to cause an issue so I have reduced it down to one. I will have to see if I can find a better hairspray tomorrow. I have tried cleaning the glass again but to no avail. I am going to try one last print tonight with a slightly lower start height and some glue stick and see but I wont hold my breath.

10. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I struggle to get anything to stick to bare glass on my current printer because my bed isn't perfectly flat. For PLA and PETG I use PVA glue diluted 1:8 with water, just wipe a bit on with a cloth and let it dry. Sticks beautifully, releases easily when cool and leaves a lovely smooth bottom layer. I apply 3-4 thin layers so the glass is barely cloudy and it lasts for 5-10 prints before it needs reapplying. Might be worth a go if other things have failed.

11. Steve W

Steve W Member

I've been using this hairspray on my other printer for nearly a year, ive tried a few others, but this seems to work best for me, and I think it's one of the cheapest you can get in the uk

Attached Files:

12. Syko_Symatic

Might try that. I have a bottle of PVA round here somewhere. @PsyVision do you have a photo or the exact name of the hairspray you are using? I am on a mission to buy all the different things I can and see what works!

13. Kanedias

Cool, 'cause that L'Oreal stuff aint cheap.

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Since I started with my UM2 I am using not the UHU but a stick from Tesa.
    Never had problems with it. Printing PLA, PLA/PHA, XT, XT-CF20, Taulman Bridge Nylon.
    For ABS I used ABS juice but got good results with the Tesa glue too...
    I am not able to get bigger prints stick to bare glass neither.
    The glue has some nice effect: it applies easily on a warm bed, then it dries, but when the plastic is printed it gets sticky again in contact with the plastic.
    Cleaning is real easy, water soluble, just wiping with window cleaner or from time to time I remove the glass and wash it.

But for everyone there seems to be an individual solution: one gets good results on glass, the other wth the glue, PVA glue, hairspray or special products.

I just can tell you, try the simple and cheap things first (glue or hairspray) and see what is working good for you.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

In America Aquanet Super Hold (or Extra Super Hold) is great stuff for bed adhesion. And it's the cheapest option.

17. GBR1

GBR1 Member

18. Syko_Symatic

Thanks all for the suggestions! I will be sure to pick up as many as I can. I have a boots, Tesco and asda all within a mile so I will see what I can find there.

The more exotic ones such as WolfBite and DimaFix will have to wait as it's Easter weekend and that Bunny need to be worshipped with chocolate sacrifices.

From what I understand from almighty Google the hairspray that works includes Acrylates and a couple of other multisyllabic words. So I have picked a few contenders. Plus I will try and find Sanjay's UHU glue as he seems to really recommend that.

Adventure and Discovery Ho!!!! :p

19. Col.N

Col.N Active Member

Use this all the time, works well for me.

20. Syko_Symatic

Currently printing with some ridiculously expensive L'Oreal Paris STUDIO/PRO LOCK IT Ultra Strong Fixing Hairspray (it's NEW! apparently). It matches all the "magical" ingredients so we will see.......