SOLVED Bed levelling routine is wonky

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Hans C., Jun 23, 2016.

1. Hans C.

Hans C. Well-Known Member

OK, I've reached that stage at last. The 'Level Bed' option doesn't appear until I've done an 'Auto Home', which may or may not be how it's supposed to work. If it is, the build manual should say so.

I'm also getting some weirdness with the LCD display: when I scroll down, the top line is half-gibberish until I turn the knob counter-clockwise, and in the Main Menu the 3 axis indicators sometimes switch between 'X' 'Y' and 'Z' and '?'. Back and forth every second or two. Is this normal?

Nothing to stop the show yet, though enough to worry me a little. What has me stumped is that 'Level Bed' doesn't behave as it should. The head zips over to the front right corner, then clockwise to the other three corners, and ends up at the back right showing X=290 Y=185 Z=7.9.

And that's it. Twisting the dial does nothing, and hitting 'Level Bed' again only starts the same routine.

This is a Dual V1.1 with Titan extruders, running RC4 (until I get it working properly) and I am trying to do the mesh levelling bit.

So I'm wondering if I missed a step somewhere, if the firmware didn't get flashed properly, or...or...o_O

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

The
    The XYZ issue is normal and the ? disappears once you home as it then knows where it is. The strange display is not usual and my be a fault. I am sure @Alex9779 will furnish you with some info on the bed levelling but I think you should load the latest MBL (Mesh Bed Levelling) firmware from his source as this has some of the issues addressed.

Hans C. likes this.
  3. Hans C.

Thanks, Mike, good to know about the '?'s. I'm reluctant to start diddling with firmware until I at least get this thing working halfway respectably. It's been a long uphill slog. I'm not even thinking about the Octoprint 'upgrade' yet.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I did do the update before I completed my machine as you can do it without power by swapping the jumper on the Rumba and using the USB connection even if the base is on but you have already got power on so you could do the USB upgrade any way; just disconnect the Pi temporarily. Today I finalised OctoPrint by getting the Firmware Updater plug in working but I think it will be low priority use other than for just keeping an eye on what is happening at the print head and the aforementioned firmware updating.

5. Hans C.

Ah, but I don't have a USB connection, since (like a fool) I bought the Octoprint/Raspberry Pi option 'way back in November when I placed the original order. I'll muddle through this somehow. I want a pair of Nautilus speakers, dammit, and some carbon fibre bits & pieces for the telescope I'll build some day.

6. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

You can unplug the PI and simply plug your computer into the rumba.. You can get to it through the electronics hatch.

Hans C. likes this.
  7. Hans C.

Shows how much I know, doesn't it? Thanks, Chase!

8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

That's what I currently do, since I put my Pi in a case next to it when the internal DCDC converter is so poor. It also allowed my to put a keyboard/mouse/monitor to be able to access it easily and when I do the titan upgrade and disassemble the whole thing anyway will internalize the USB cable (I need to check if you can order it)

9. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

To make your life easier for applying firmware to the BigBox through Octoprint you could install the plugins.

https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint-FirmwareUpdater

This also requires the installation of AVRDude, unfortunately for that you'll need to access the terminal side of your Pi running Octoprint, this is not as bad as it sounds (well I say that as a Windows user using PuTTY).

10. Hans C.

I managed to get it hooked up to my (Windows) computer via USB, but installed RC3 by mistake. Will try again today when I have some undisturbed free time. I only hope it is the firmware and not something worse, e.g. a faulty Rumba.

11. Hans C.

Whew. I finally got Alex's RC6 installed, mesh-levelled the bed and all the rest of it, and even produced a fairly respectable Benchy.

So I guess this thread can be labelled "SOLVED" thanks to the forum and no thanks to the build manual wiki which is in need of a serious noogie.

Cheers, all, I'm off to pour myself another double shot of Glenmorangie...:cool:

mike01hu likes this.