Bed rods

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by sebastiaan, Mar 28, 2016.

1. sebastiaan

sebastiaan Member

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

That comes later (the lead screws) during the Z-axis commissioning. Yes, that picture is annoying in that it shows a completed assembly. In fact you will first make the bed slide nicely before putting in the screws (there is a video). Remember lithium grease on the rods!

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I know that it is important to grease the action, but do the bearings have dust protectors on them, as these will push the grease to the travel limits and collect there? If so, I would pack the bearings with lithium grease before sliding onto the rods, then just a light wipe of grease on the rods to protect them. This is the technique I used on my current printer with success.

4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Yes they do (or at least the spares I ordered have dust wipers) So I think you are right..the best time to add the grease is during assembly, with persistence you can get it in there through repeatedly adding it to the rods and running the bearings backwards and forwards but most of it will be pushed to the end of the axis rather than go into the bearing as you say.

mike01hu likes this.
  5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I smeared it down the rod carefully with a dust-free wipe, into a nice film, then took the blob off the ends after running back and forth a few times...

mike01hu likes this.