IDEAS Bed upgrade

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW my plate for the UM2 arrived today, ordered on 28.06.2016...

#181 Alex9779, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex, I'll try that.

3. mike01hu

There is no problem with CF20 on PEI. The abrasive issue is related to nozzle wear, a problem that comes from most filled filaments, even wood fill. Once it is extruded, there is no movement on the bed and it releases without the need for force.

Alex9779 likes this.
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah thought the same, you are not rubbing the plate with the filament, if it peels it is Like pulling it off and it does nothing to the bed because it is peeling because it does not stick... Only problem would be if some parts get loose, accumulates on the nozzle and gets moved over the bed but from an mechanical point of view to get an abrasive effect from that you would have to apply at least a little force towards the bed which is not the case in all cases I can image the printer can do by its own even if something goes really wrong. I had failed prints with filament extruding and blocking the nozzle so new extruded filament flow up the nozzle towards the heatbreak and heat sink sucking up everything. Even in that case the filament is not pressed onto the bed and doing its abrasive stuff to it...

mike01hu likes this.
  5. mike01hu

Good night Alex!:)

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Am I writing so bad stuff that you have to send me to bed?

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

:)

So I guess no problem.
    Btw so far the only filament that really had any effect as abrasive for me was the carbon ones. Wood nope.

8. mike01hu

Ha ha! But back on topic, did your PLA adjustment work(60C), as I have a run to do later. I was thinking that I could get away with 40C because the bed's surface temperature is hotter than the glass for the same setting due to better conductivity and thermal inertia.

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

For PLA I used 65° I think for the first layer and a higher nozzle temp 210° for the first layer...

mike01hu likes this.
  10. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Dang it! I got my beds today but they have a dent in one corner. I just e-mailed Clever3D and waiting for what I should do. I might be able to salvage the beds but at €43 for shipping two plates I would like to get ones without any damage.

But.. I really like the red colour. Looks nice with the other red details :)

Attached Files:

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ewwww not so nice...

12. mike01hu

Mine was damaged too but not so that it was unusable. The packaging was only just adequate but obviously not for the postal system. I did not complain but perhaps I should have done.

13. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

14. Stian Indal Haugseth

@Irawan Tri Kusumo
    One of the beds I got with slots for magnets. Very snug fit on some holes. Either my magnets are not perfectly sircular or the holes are slightly tighter than spec. I'm waiting for answer from Clever3D before gluing any magnets inn :)

15. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

@Stian Indal Haugseth , I've got mine as well but I've got it wrong. My mistake actually. The magnet too small, and I don't know which glue I am going to use it since it can be very hot > 100C for HT (as example). Which glue are you going to use ? and Which type of magnet ? I heard that magnet might de-magnetise when reach high temperature. So need some special ones.

16. Stian Indal Haugseth

Take a look at this table with working temps and specs: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/specs.asp

I went for the strongest grade and NSH type to be safe. But I think I have misplaced my high temp ones. I can only find the regular ones. I just hope they will cope... :eek:

Regarding glue I have not decided yet. Maybe something like Locktite 510, 620 or maybe 9492. Whatever I can find that can fasten metal and withstand < 120 degC.

17. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Ouch! Their packaging was terrible on mine as well but I was a little luckier. You should check for flatness with good straight edge. Assuming that the overall flatness was not compromised by the impact and the only damage is the ding, I'd say just smooth the ding with a file.

18. Stian Indal Haugseth

Yeah. Thinking to do that but this is a principal matter as well. Wanting to see what they say first.

19. Stian Indal Haugseth

Well.. got impatient and filed down the corner that would have dug into the PCB. Frank replied to me yesterday. Not sure what we will do yet.

Testing @Alex9779 clipfix and I like it.
    First print is with ASA filament (similar to ABS and first print with this filament) and have upped the bed to 105 now and first layer on 250C. Looks like it is sticking good so far. Rest of print is at 240. Maybe try lowering for next print. Like the red color. So far the IR has held up. Still need some babystepping for first layer.

IMG_20160728_104200.jpg

20. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Show model printer! Mine was the same till i started changing parts :)
    IR was all over the place on my blu bed and I have not tested the red one. I will move the IR anyhow somewhere else, but I am now busy printing more then modding :)

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.