IDEAS Bed upgrade

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

@Stian Indal Haugseth not sure if it is a trick of the light etc. but looking at the light and shadow reflections in the left front corner of the bed it looks like it dips down, in fact it almost looks like there is a slight dip going front to back on the left hand side of the bed.

If you put a flat surface across the new surface, is it pretty uniformly flat, or does it have dips, hight points etc.?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Just an illusion. Between outside light and LEDs in printer. Using a camera phone with not perfect optics is not helping either.

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Thanks. I hope the red all bed continues to be ok enough. Time will tell. I really do not know this but I'm only guessing. A red colour is closer to IR light and might be a safer bet regarding reflecting IR light. Blue does not reflect red very good but what it does with IR light is impossible to say for sure unless you got an IR sensitive camera.

Anyways I'll give inductive probe a go. A friend is sending me a couple to test out that he has laying around.

4. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I have inductive probes on their way, this is for after august/vacation. And before then the sensor (or even a end stop) to the bed. But now I am more busy making settings for all materials. It is fun.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Oh my the all bed takes forever to reach 105C

6. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Right now I even got Taulman 645 attach well to the glass/kapton bed .... I feel no urgency togo back to the aluPEI one.

7. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Are you willing to share your details/profile with me (and others) so we can all benefit from your experience. And if you're ok with that, I can add them to the BB S3D profile of @Alex9779

8. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Sure, let me first finish all the materials I am playing (like this damn flexifil) with than I can give everything. I am not only changing the settings but also the growing in S3D and how they change with various profiles.

TimV likes this.
  9. Stian Indal Haugseth

This

Attached Files:

10. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it will, because the aluminium is more conductive and will radiate heat away from the surface more readily. @Alex9779's solution of preheating the bed offsets the wait but I improve this by laying a couple of sheets of kitchen paper on the bed to provide some insulation to keep the heat in during warm up, making sure I remove it before the print starts.

11. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

@Stian Indal Haugseth, I like the Red Bed, since my BB is also Frozen (White) and Red.
    BUT, Are there any issues with the red bed and IR sensor ? Does the sensor read correctly ?

Also thank for showing the Glue.

12. Stian Indal Haugseth

Good one @mike01hu. See if I can find some wool rug that the extruder will wipe off the bed after warm up :) Just need to watch so it actually falls out of the printer :)

13. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

A silicone sheet that you can quickly lie over the top might be a good reusable solution, they aren't very expensive. I use 3mm silicone to insulate the underside of the bed on my K8400.

14. Stian Indal Haugseth

So far I have had 4 out of 5 near perfect print starts where I did not have to babystep. The one that missed were 4 millimeters to high so I'm not sure what happened there. Then I have the printer in front of a window and can get som sunlight...

So far the red bed is at least as good as clean glass.

15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Funny stuff... I have been printing a bit on my two red PEI alu beds.

First I only printed Colorfabb XT on the Clipfix version and IR homing was spot on every time. rarely had to do any baby stepping.

Then I finished my magnet mounted bed and it holds it self down pretty well. The magnets in center are actually holding up the PCB as well so that worked well. But now I can no longer get a consistent IR homing. Did a few MBLs now. But it usually prints 1mm above the bed. I do not understand why it behaves different. I need to go back to the Clipfix too see what happens.

Now I'm printing the fan shroud for the dual titan in HTPLA-CF and I finally got the first layer to stick consistently at 85degC on the bed and 230degC on 1st layer. People say PLA can be printed without any heat on PEI.

16. Stian Indal Haugseth

Nooooo.... it lifts up on one side! Back to the drawing board :mad:

17. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Do people find this PEI bed to be worth it (I'd have to ship to the USA). I have found a good system for Glue Stick & Glass so far... I wonder if PEI is much better w/o the glue..

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I printed PLA and PLA/PHA, XT and Edge so far on it. Had to adjust some temps but adhesion is very good without anything else. No warping...
    For those materials I love it. It is just slice and print and print again no preparation...
    I printed one piece in NinjaFlex which stuck well maybe too well but I had no issues getting it off and no damage to the model...

#218 Alex9779, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  19. Stian Indal Haugseth

I have mostly used PETG type materials like XT and nGen with good results. I have also printed a few things in ASA (almost like ABS) with good results but this was not a part likely to warp anyways.

The only other material I have tried yet is HTPLA-CF. I gave up and smeared PVA-glue on the PEI plate. HTPLA-CF is supposed to be like PLA so i do not know why it behaved like that.

20. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

@Stian Indal Haugseth, have you used the bed with the magnets ? Any wiggling movement when printing ? btw, what is the size of your magnets ? I might want to order the same as yours.