Bevel on E3D hotend

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Arkaedra, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Arkaedra

Arkaedra Member

Hello,

Last week I built my second 3D printer which has two E3D V6 0.4mm hotends. I'm having a problem with the hotend, only proved with ABS. The filament is getting stuck on the nozzle continuously.

I disassembled the hotend and found that the internal bevels between the nozzle and the heat break makes a small flange on the filament, I think this is causing the filament to stop the extrusion. I'll try to illustrate this on the following pictures:

If the filament becomes cooler in this joint, and this is the main purpose of the heat break, the filament gets stuck in both directions.

I wonder if a flat end on this design of hotend could improve the performance avoiding this issue.

Any comments?

Regards,

JoaquĆ­n.

Attached Files:

2. Enlightx

Enlightx Member

i have a similar problem. i belive it were the ptfe tubing meets the hotend inside the heatbreak.

take a look at my post.

iv given up now no answer for over a week on forums and via email.

3. Arkaedra

Arkaedra Member

Hi Enlightx!

Thanks for your answer. I was watching your post and yes it's very similar to mine but my hotend is the 3mm direct version so it has no ptfe tubing... I also come from J-Head and moved to E3D to get higher temps, Unfortunately I'm not sure if this will work.

I hope someone can help us because this way the hotend is useless.

4. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

The bevels are a bit of a red-herring, at that point the plastic is molten and the bottom of the heatbreak sits at near as dammit the temp of the block and nozzle. Everything at that point is a liquid and should be flowing.

If you can let me know a bit more detail about your machine and setup by filling in the following form:
    https://docs.google.com/a/e3d-online.co ... =send_form

I'd be in a much better position to help. 3mm and ABS in a v6 should be about as pain free as it gets and if you're experiencing problems I'm sure they can be easily resolved. If you post a few images of your setup that would probably be really helpful as well.

Really nice images and impressions of the hotend/filament by the way!

Enlightx,

I offered to take back your parts for analysis and replace them in full to get to the bottom of your issue:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=236&p=1548#p1548
    Hopefully we can get you sorted.