Biblical level failure

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Henry feldman, May 4, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So this wasn't a failure, this wasn't an epic failure, this was a biblical level smiting of my printer:

So apparently I figured as I left for work, the printer was doing great (yeah, no lectures thanks) and was already past the solid layers, and was in the middle infill, and I figured, great this will be nice and done when I return. I came home to this.

[​IMG]

I highly recommend a step through towards the end as the glass bed comes sailing towards the camera, because you notice that what happened was the FAN WAS TORN OFF THE HEAD and slammed into the work, which pulled the clips off and the printer fired off the glass off the front. Luckily the glass didn't completely fall as it is suspended by nylon fragments (which are all over the place)

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. Henry feldman

Oops, correction to the top image, that is not the fan, that is the set of wires torn off the fan when the x-carriage part gave way... The fan is sitting on the bottom next to the heated bed cable...

sigh. Well I was planning on shortly doing the titan upgrade (am halfway printing the parts), so looks like now is the time! (yes, I still have one fully working side...)

[​IMG]

3. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's a big OUCH! Is cooling essential on nylon? I am increasingly worrying about the close proximity of the cooling to the work-piece but if cooling is needed you have little choice, so causing more trouble due to the relatively low thermal inertia of the heated block and its tendency to promote thermal runaway from the cooling. I am already checking with a friend to see if he can produce a brass block of Volcano size to try sometime. Brass may also be more forgiving when it comes to removing the screws that others have trouble with.

5. Henry feldman

So the fan was off (you don't need it for nylon - in fact the specifically advise against using it). I think this was someone telling me to get the Titan Hybrid finished!

JohnEsc likes this.
  6. Henry feldman

Maybe I can blame @Alex9779 since I upgraded to RC6 this morning? Actually looks like the piece slipped by about 5mm to the right, causing snot to build up off piece which eventually caused curling, which then caused the fan bracket to slam into the piece, and since even crappy nylon printing is strong, caused the fan to snap...

7. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

8. Henry feldman

Nope. But even if so the good news there is that I was throwing that out tonight anyway as there was a large chip out of it from a very long Bluprint print last week (chip came up inside the plastic) and so already had the replacement from E3D.

9. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Another of the benefits of Nylon.

;)

Seriously, I think one of the major benefits of the hybrid is to get the fan out the way.

Haven't done it yet as was waiting for Richrap to weigh in on the issue, and on Titan.

Also wondering if someone will comment on how cooling is with the air blowing from a radically different direction.

10. Henry feldman

Well we are up and printing (sort of like my wife is up and fully back in the operating room in her Carbon-Fiber brace after having her ACL repaired 3 weeks ago) - A little lopsided and limited in what I can do with my right side, but fully back in business! Printing the rest of the Titan Hybrid parts now...

[​IMG]

mike01hu likes this.
  11. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Something similar but less spectacular happened to me last night too. My Y axis started drifting and piled up a huge mess and snapped my z axis leveling sensor clean off. The only thing that stopped the print is that the kapton tape on my heating block got ripped off in the process exposing it to the fan on 100% and stopped the print due to thermal run away.

I was there was a way to monitor excessive current spikes or something on the steppers and pause a print the motion to prevent disasters. In reality no one is going to be present 100% of a 24 hour print...

mike01hu likes this.
  12. Henry feldman

Good news is I swear it is printing better now that I put new glass on and relabeled. Maybe the loss of the weight on the right side? Anyway I am printing the parts for the hybrid dual as fast as possible.

13. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Ironically thats what i was trying to print.

Swapped the X Y bearings for misume today, I was going to wait until the change to hybrid. Sounds much better now, I think one of my Y bearings was locking up

#13 Miasmictruth, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Wow that went south quick. Nylon is a pain to print, have to go real slow

15. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Why not keep it, use the other side, or, if that's also jiggered, bit some buildtak on it as another experiment?