Big Box Dual- MAC Address

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by University of Toronto, Jan 13, 2017.

1. University of Toronto

University of Toronto Well-Known Member

Hi,

Our Department is on a network, and to identify the printer on the network using the instructions for octo pi, we require the printer IP aaddress. However, we cannot find the printer IP on our network unless we have a Mac Address. Could someone please let us know how we can install the Octo Pi for such large networks?

Thanks

best regards

Ali Anwer

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

It'll be the MAC address of the raspberry pi won't it?
    From a terminal
    ifconfig eth0

3. University of Toronto

Hi Kanedias,

Thank you very much. I am not too familiar with how to do this, but what do you mean by from terminal? Like where do I enter the ifconfig eth0 command?

Thank you soo much for your kind assistance with this.

Regards

4. Kanedias

There's a chance the MAC may be printed on the box the raspberry pi came in, if it came in a box.

If you plug a monitor, keyboard and mouse into the pi there's a fair chance it'll give you a terminal screen, it's like a dos prompt in windows. That's where you enter the ifconfig command. If it asks for a login and password try pi and raspberry, that's the default.

Have a read of this https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/unchaining-your-3d-printer-with-octoprint/

If you can borrow a wifi dongle and get the octoprint to connect to wifi, even using your phone as a hotspot, you should be able to get the MAC address by looking at the details of connected clients.

5. University of Toronto

Hi Kanedias,

Thank you Kanedias for the suggestion. How can we connect a montior, keyboard and mouse to the rasberry pi? Like isnt there only the ethernet port at the back of the printer? If i cant , it would be really good if I can setup a wifi connection as well, however, if I were to use a wifi dongle, how can I command the rasberry pi to exactly connect only to my phone's hotspot? Because as far as I am aware, the pi is just a chip board correct?

Thanks

Best Regards

Ali Anwer

6. Kanedias

The link I posted explains how to do this.

7. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

This is why I move the Raspberry PI to be external. It's just easier to deal with, and for debugging has the advantage of being able to hook keyboard/mouse/monitor to it with the only downside being it sits nearby rather than inside the printer.

8. University of Toronto

yeah. i definitely would not like to open the base. So for following these steps in the link, do I have to open the base up!?

9. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

If you really don't want to mess with the base it is possible to configure the wifi access using another pi by putting the memory card in that (or possible but more difficult to edit the files on the memory card directly) and then it is possible (but fiddly) to insert the wifi card via the trapdoor

10. University of Toronto

Is it possible to control the Bigbox Dual Octopi Camera as well as the printer options themselves directly from a computer, without using the internet? In this way, we wouldnt have to hopefully go through the hassle of IP address..... Somthing similar to Makerbot Desktop?

11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

If you have a Mac (and some versions of windows) have zeroconf (bonjour) enabled in which case the machine will come up as octoprint.local on TCP/IP. You can just string an Ethernet between your computer and the Pi. You can also use one of the many network scanning utilities that exist in the same scenario to hunt down MAC addresses