IDEAS big box, what will you change on it first?

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by KNM3D, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

I'm in your boat, and finally decided to go for the assembled single head so I know I've a good solid base (unlike my other 3D printers) and then will be looking to add dual head and the other experimental kits.
    I still think it's the right decision and will probably be some months and several iterations but I'm sure we'll end up with a nice solid exchangeable carriage.

Skinny Kid and mike01hu like this.
  2. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

I will want to make a nice changeable mount or use one someone has made for the volcanos I have coming.
    then I can use one volcano as the builder and the e3d v6 to do supports.

Colin likes this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I was really hoping the dual header would accommodate this automatically, if it could slide the hotend up or down by an inch then it would be easy to swap. I also plan on having one and one, I hope someone creates this.

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

@UlrichKliegis Now that the frame files are out do you think a marble frame is still a possibility? My $10 is still on the table.

5. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Are the frame files only available to backers? If not can someone post a link please :) I would like to have a new frame of some sort ready when my printer arrives.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Only to backers for now, until they finish our orders

7. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Thank you. Guess I will have to wait :)

8. LiviLammister

LiviLammister Active Member

If I can swing it, I want to put a dual direct drive chimera hot end on mine. If not, then a hybrid direct/bowden chimera.

PsyVision likes this.
  9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I keep eyeing up the BCN Sigma and wondering whether I can come up with something similar for the BB.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I think a hybrid is the way to go. Unless you're doing dual flexible there's not much point to dual direct. You'll usually always be making something rigid with one nozzle.

11. rdahm

rdahm Member

I just realized I've had this running list going on my computer. Here's some of my to-change and/or issues:

• Electronics access door too small (but this requires cutting)
    • Electronics fan placed like a $#@%hole (I have to vacuum it every single day or it gets jammed with filament bits)
    • Original Pro extruder carriage sucks (bolt access is terrible, I wonder who even beta tests this... Oh right, us!)
    • Upgrades offered before I got my machine.I just want a single extruder machine.
    • Firmware written by monkeys
    • When “moving axis,” screen will time out on you and you’ll lose control of what you’re doing until it’s done. This means you could be feeding in filament and it’ll just go with what you set and lock you out. Stupid.
    • “Cancel print” or “pause print” can take a looooong time to actuate.
    • “Cancel print” means the head just @#$%ing sits there. Great, melt my failed print more. Needs to go back to the wipe bucket.
    • You MUST auto-home after turning off the machine or it will kill itself (just added G28 to my starting scripts so we'll see how that goes)
    • Bed will bottom-out and hit parts of printer (not really good foresight here, huh?). Best way to avoid this is to not print huge stuff or jog the Z down that far.
    • Machine doesn’t seem to listen to soft-limits at all and will hit the frame willingly when moving axes (really guys? it’s like a broken photocopier up in here)
    • Weird “MAX TEMP” glitch where if I don’t set up preheat temps and save them correctly, it’ll “set” one temp but then just run the heater all the way up into an error message.
    • The stupid optical leveling (I guess I'll go to the bed-mounted IR and mesh leveling, but I don't hear people having a much better time)
    • Rear-mounted filament feed is terrible to do unless you rotate the machine around, so I've top-mounted and bottom-mounted my spools.
    • Every “Control” -> “Temperature” setting change makes the nozzle go back to 210. And then you have to change the nozzle again. This is super obnoxious and someone did something wrong. I guess this has been fixed?
    • Won't even get to the mechanical things you notice when you're putting the damn thing together (think about DFM much? The Y-axis idlers had bolts placed by a first-year engineering student).

I will admit I haven't had time to update firmware since this got tossed into the printer farm the day it was ready (and there weren't really any updates at that point anyway) so maybe I should do a flash and see where to go from there.

#71 rdahm, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  12. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Yeah, a whole bunch of those things were just older firmware, since updated. Use @Alex9779 's version

13. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

And then do use Mesh levelling: it's much better because it compensates for curvature in the rods.

14. rdahm

rdahm Member

About half were solved with RC6. Some solved with g-code. My printer is finally off-line for work for the first time since it started running, so I'll be playing with firmware for the rest of the week.

15. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

on my todo list: gcode controlled led strips, use the heater port or motor port of the 3rd extruder or maybe even modify the firmware