Big box with 3mm instead

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by TimV, May 8, 2016.

1. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Guys & girls,

Last point before I order my big box.
    What to do with my 'old stock'?

Running an i3 with Ramps and E3D V6 3mm, but it's really running on it's last legs, so don't wanna use that one, as soon my bigbox is up and running. (It was an original i2 converted and upgrade and changed and fixed and broken and rebuild and ... bha, just about had it with the design, it's ok as starter, but not quite up to what I wanna do. )

Can I just mount my 3mm extruder on it and go?
    Can it even go dual head, 1,75 and 3?

And one last question, just as a reminder to myself, the nozzles are diameter specific or not?

Greetz
    Tim

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Probably not without a little re-designing. The holes that take the filament through the x-carriage are designed to take the 1.75mm filament inside the PTFE tube. That hole isn't going to be big enough for 3mm filament inside a larger bowden tube.

Definitely not without the re-design work you'll already need. Ultimately has to be doable though. Warm up your design skills.

Yes. Diameter specific. They take a specific width filament at the top and push it out the smaller nozzle end.

3. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Gotcha
    Thanks for the answers, though bummer for me, just bought 3mm nozzles and a bunch of E3D PLA/ABS, using that up in ... 8 weeks :)
    Going to be a challenge :s

4. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

you will also need a 3mm extruder.

if you use the titan you could mix up 1.75 and 3mm

I have the same problem, have about 5 kg of 3mm filament left and my ultimaker is broken, not sure i'll ever be ablle to fix it

this just gave me an idea,i also have a 3mm V6, i could install a third extruder :cool:

5. Spoon Unit

Oh lordy ! :)

6. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

why not ? 0.25mm for outlines, 0.8 for infill and third for scaffold

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Don't want to think of the logistical mess of leveling 3 heads redesigning the carraige for 3 extruders and running all those wires lol. Good luck :)

8. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Alright, who will help to design this 3pcs header. 3x 1.75 and 2,85 backwards compatible. :)

9. Miasmictruth

If only I had the time lol, there is a nice post about a diamond hotend on the big box, but doubt the will do you much good in this case

10. Spoon Unit

3 heads are always in a plane, so basically you just need to align that plane with the surface of the bed.

The wiring yes, tricky, but we all have a spare extruder driver slot on the RUMBA, so not impossible.

No reason why not. I just thought ahead of the mess that @Miasmictruth was thinking of. I can certainly imagine having three different nozzle sizes available with the minimum of fuss and would definitely mount a 0.25 in a heartbeat for printing small detailed items. Most of the time though, I'd stick with a fat nozzle for outlines as you can then get away with a single outline. Three would increase the choice though yes. Surely the thing to do is make a Kraken mount for this though and then just have four at the ready (though that would need something more than the RUMBA I think)

11. Miasmictruth

You have an interesting point, if you used the Kraken you don't have to use all for heads at once, you could cable swap, then you wouldn't have to change nozzles just heads. Just move the bowden tube to what ever hotend you want to use, you could use micro fit connectors for the pt100 and heater cartage and just swap them. From what I understand the Kraken and chimera is suppose to be easier to level then v6's

mike01hu likes this.