BigBox 1.1 Dual Z-Motors Connections

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Brandon Hart, May 29, 2016.

1. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

For anyone building a BigBox version 1.1 (any configuration):

Just a note that the build manual instructs people how to take the improperly prepared stepper motor wires and connect them up to the RUMBA. However, it seems that E3D has corrected the improper preparation of these wires in version 1.1...sort of. They are now properly paired and twisted, but they've also added a 4-position connector housing to the other end. This would be great, except that there are 2 Z-Motors and only 1 set of male headers to plug them into.

So, here's what I did to make this work anyway. I chopped off the end of one of the 4-wire assemblies just before the 4-position connector housing, then stripped and tinned the ends of the wires. This one then got screwed into the terminals while the other got to use the (more convenient) 4-position header. Attached is a picture. The printer isn't fully built yet, so I can't confirm 100% that this works, but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't. Picture attached.

[​IMG]

2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

The wires in my v1.1 were the older set that matched the instructions.

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's OK but tinning wires to use in connectors is not so good as the solder is soft and gradually oozes out from between the wires leaving a loose connection; this may take some time to come into effect but you can bet it will be near the end of an important print job! Bare copper wires harden as you clamp them so should not loosen over time.

4. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Hopefully this will be properly fixed in the wiring kits that they are expecting to arrive shortly, and this will only be a problem for those receiving the alternatives they sourced to cover the gap, but I'm sure that @Josh will be able to confirm...

5. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!