COMPLETE BigBox 1.1

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg_The_Maker, Apr 8, 2016.

1. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Well it isnt the printer it is just some components of the printer, no need to get rid of it....

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

My replacement RUMBA was equipped with all needed drivers for a dual though I had them from the old board. Stocking drivers :)

4. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

What happened to yours?

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I would have thought that @Josh would have wanted to know about this incident and preferably while things are still more or less as they were when the fire occurred, so they have a chance to do a little diagnostics on the cause...

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

A 3D printer should never be fully unattended. In the other room is as far as I'll go and I have smoke alarms mounted above all 3D printers and a fire extinguisher in the 3D printing room. Much like I wouldn't leave the house with the stove on, or a turkey in the oven. FWIW, the BigBox build manual says to never leave the printer unattended as well:

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Your_First_Print

With that said, I'm sure E3D will be keen to get to the bottom of this and take appropriate measures in response.

8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

So, no jobs over 24 hours long then? Got to sleep sometime, surely that counts as unattended. In this case, why not by a SmallBox instead as you'll never fill the print area in under 24 hours.

JohnEsc likes this.
  9. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

This is a bit disconcerting as some of these prints take days to print, hence the name BigBox. The ability to print large items will entail lengthy print times which makes it very difficult to be in the vicinity at all times. I too have a Nest Protect smoke/carbon monoxide alarm just above my printer and a fire extinguisher really close by.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Come on this is unrealistic. Yeah you shouldn't but you sound like an insurance company...
    There are coffee machines burning down houses, TV and everything. There are dumb people burning down acres of forest because of their stupidity, you guys in California and Canada should know this...
    Every electronic/electric device can blow up on a short circuit or something else.
    Yeah a 3D printer is a different category of electronic device, high currents, hot chips and lot of the components we use are based on open source and are from China produced cheap but no big company bothers producing this stuff.
    There is a risk, life is risky... And life ends with death, sooner or later...

AndyVirus likes this.
  11. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

... and it is sold with a webcam option because... :)

Serious question though, with all that build volume available, are you really supposed to stay awake and vigilant for the entire print when it could take many hours?

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh and sorry I forgot some of you are from the US where you have to tell people that hot coffee could actually be hot, no offenes just kidding! :p

JesperJuul likes this.
  13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ask the E3D guys if they had someone in the house when printing all the parts for the printers we have now, I doubt it. Otherwise we would still be waiting on the fulfillment of the KS orders...

JohnEsc likes this.
  14. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

That's why I get Iced Coffee!... just to be safe! LMAO
    [​IMG]

15. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

So that you can take timelapses, or presumably be in the other room or even in the same room but not facing the 3D printer.

It is possible to fill one or two directions of the build volume with a part that is long and skinny and requires 300mm in a particular direction but takes less than 16 hours to print.

If the part takes too long to print, it should be sliced into smaller pieces and assembled in some fashion post-printing.

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

and you can watch the fire burning when you are not at home! "Oh there goes all my memories, oh and there look the couch gives a nice flame coloring, wonder what additives they used for it..."

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  17. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Why do you doubt that? They had ~30 printers running and ~400 printers worth of parts to do in 4 months. Surely a Bigbox can replicate itself 3 times in a month running 8 hours a day.

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry I can stop:
    wonder when we see the first OctoPrint timelapse of a BigBox burning down on YouTube :p

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not at the very beginning, I just assumed, you got the contacts, ask :)

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Thinking about it haven't there been some live streams of a BigBox printing unattended in the early KS campaign? And didn't @LiviLammister also go to bed leaving prints alone?

All I wanna say is that you have to know the risk, take care of what you can and if in doubt do not do it...

mike01hu and JohnEsc like this.