BigBox Assembly Livestream by Olivia Lam [NOW!]

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Sanjay, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

AFAIK, they're free samples at no additional cost. Enjoy it for what it is. As the saying goes, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." PLA is too cheap to complain over.

In any case, were cutouts included and was it revealed on how they were mounted?

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Yep, she held up a cutout.

But didn't examine the mounting system.

If you live nearby you can ask her for her brightly coloured stuff. ;-)

3. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Sadly I missed out on the KS. So I won't have any of the free goodies you guys get. Just waiting for all the pledges to be fulfilled to see what kind of stock is left. And maybe a CAD or USA retailer may stock them by that time to save a bit on shipping? I'm located in Vancouver. Considering a prebuilt version after seeing how long it takes to assemble one. You can always use the brightly colored stuff for your calibration and test prints.

Curious on how the cutouts are mounted and if there's going to be rattling problems with it as they're now loose pieces.

4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Question now is given Mike and Olivia's progress to date, might we see one of the kit built machines printing on Christmas Day ?

Pierce likes this.
  5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

The one good use I have for widely divergent colors is if one is making a bunch of alternative things for a user to try (e.g. here are 5 different handles) it is way easier to remember "the purple handle" than "number 5". The other use of color is of course to indicate function/danger. For instance on my X-Carve, everything having to do with power (line voltage) is bright yellow (to match the big e-stop button case), Dark Red, Green and clear are used for each axis (the nylon sleeving and shrink wrap) so anything I print for an axis will match those colors, while bright red is spindle control/hard-interlock.

I agree that the most common use-case colors are the muted colors, but that's not to say the others have zero use (although I agree you see Blue PLA for some reason way-way-way more than the muted colors)...

mike01hu, Dr Jeep and Pierce like this.
  6. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

You will probably need the samples to calibrate the printer. I would imagine that you will go through quite a bit of it getting it dialed in. I think it was very nice of them to include the samples and I am sure I will get a lot of use out of them. My daughter is four and gets a kick out of anything I make for her.

7. Skinny Kid

Skinny Kid Member

Feel free to send me any and all colors you guys don't want.....lol

I use the crazy colors for projects/jobs that I know will be painted.....

Case in point....just delivered a custom model of an airstream trailer finished in chrome paint......it was printed in fuschia pink....:)

More companies should be giving out freebies in my opinion.....

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Quite so @Trevor @ Henry @Steven. I'll find a use for everything. And of course am most grateful!

What I'm more concerned about is what is available to buy, the state of the market from the perspective of colour. And perhaps other aspects of appearance, like shininess. The widest choice is in the Colorfabb PLA range, but even that's a bit primitive and their showoff prints (from the point of view of appearance) are invariably the bronze/copper/wood/bamboo fills. I'd argue that's not simply because of the original materials involved but has very much to do with the basic notion of COLOUR. Their colours - variously earthy - are more amenable to our habitable environments.

What's needed is a browse of an Android / iOS colour palette app:

http://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/services/colour-tools/colour-concept

For example, gray is never just black + white. It's either coolish (blue-gray), warmish (red-gray) or perhaps brown-grey, green-gray, yellow-gray etc.. And gray doesn't have to mean a very intense sort of shade that is halfway to black. Very often it's simply off-white. And various forms of off-white are highly effective. In real life. Like Ivory, or Eggshell, or Magnolia or Seagull or whatever.

If we make a print from a white filament well it's probably quite a discreet sort of choice given what's available. But in reality pure white - and a shiny white as it usually is - is not really ideal for anything. A nice selection of off-whites - with the possibility of matt finishes - could do a lot of good.

Obviously it's not possible to stock everything - given current manufacturing techniques, storage and capital constraints - but there is certainly room for experimentation, for a credible aesthetic strategy.

Last century there were some ugly periods. Maybe the brutalist architecture (naked concrete), the clothing of the 70's, the hair of the 80's.... etc. 3D is kind of in one of those phases right now. IMHO.

Skinny Kid likes this.
  9. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

I am concerned that my kids are going to starve while I am assembling my Big Box.

Chris Toast and Skinny Kid like this.
  10. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I got a powder blue coloured PLA listed as 'wathet' on eBay that I really like. Nice Matt finish.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mine certainly won't be :) I'm gone for a few days so it won't be running till next week.

As per the color conversation I used to think colors were unnecessary but as I've matured in the art there's something about colored filaments that I really like. I used to print in black and white only. Now I really enjoy a lot of colors in my printing. Mostly prime colors like red, yellow, green, and blue. A lot just kinda depends on what you're making and for whom. Bright colors like what they included might not be very useful for everything, but one day you'll need bright purple and be glad you had it around :)

Pierce likes this.
  12. theTroll527

Olivia, great job on the build. :) Was fun watching, a little painful realizing that I get to do the same thing. Would love to see a first print video when you get a chance. But once again, thanks for showing us what it is going to take. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!!

13. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I use a few choice colors most of the time, but over time I have accumulated around a dozen different colors in PLA alone.

14. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Thank you Oliva (and others who have participated) for live streaming your build. It has been both fun and informative to watch.

Thank you!

15. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I watched Olivia live and was happy to see the success she achieved. Congratulation Livi on the first completed Benchy and a whole bunch of respect for your patience in the face of adversity . . . and a feline invader who was keen to disrupt your attention!

16. theTroll527

and it prints. Way to go!!!!!!