BigBox BuildTak

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven Burns, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased BuildTak and, if so, what size?

Can you buy larger and then Cut them down to fit? I ask as none of the sizes appear to fit the BigBox exactly.

2. LiviLammister

LiviLammister Active Member

I got a 12x12in sheet and cut it to size. It would be nice if they started carrying a BB sized sheet though

3. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Does anyone use buildtak on the BB, I have never tried it before.

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

5. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Actually I use PEI on the heat bed for the M3D, and Kapton. Both work well. So I have not used Buildtak on a heated bed... I do really like the wolfbite nano, and one bottle will last a pretty long time.

6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I'm using the wolf bite which works really well, although you need to make sure it is thin (thick layers seem to fail more often)

7. LiviLammister

I am using BuildTak on mine right now. Oddly enough I am using it less for bed adhesion and more so my bed is a uniform color for bed leveling. However, it has fixed the curling issues I was having with some materials.

albert stouder likes this.
  8. Miasmictruth

I suppose I could look this up other places, but does it work for all/most material? How is the part release on cool down?

9. LiviLammister

So far I haven't had problems removing parts. That being said, I've been using BuildTak for a while now, so I have some tricks. The big thing is that your nozzle can't be too close to the bed for the first layer. Some people like to put their nozzle really close to the bed, causing their first layer to be smushed, but these sorts of prints are a TOTAL PAIN to remove from a BuildTak surface.

Also, no elastomers (stretchy plastics). That stuff sticks no matter what.

10. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Yes I can confirm this I have BuildTak on my Huxley with heated bed and I almost broke the bed from its mounts one time tring to remove a PLA print.... So since I have really trouble with PLA and lifted corners (is it called curling?) with the BB I may consider it as last resort.

11. LiviLammister

Something to consider if you are putting BuildTak in your BB is the BuildTak's color. I initially got black but I am switching to white. Black BuildTak requires the IR sensor to be closer to the bed to trigger, and this was causing my IR sensor to short out my printer when cleaning my nozzles between layer/tool head changes. Not a big thing to consider, but I thought I would throw it out there

AndyVirus likes this.
  12. Miasmictruth

Interesting considering the PCB board is black, have you tried leveling with something white to see if the color makes a difference before swapping colors?

13. LiviLammister

Sure did! Actually, it was the PCB being both black and white that prompted me to get the BuildTak in the first place. If your IR sensor happens to use a spot with a white line when the printer levels, it triggers the sensor at a different height. I got the BuildTak as a way to improve adhesion with certain materials, but more as a way to give the print surface an even color. You will also notice that the IR sensor has to be moved if you put blue painter's tape on the bed.

14. Miasmictruth

Interesting, I did notice that my homing was differnt, I had adjusted the sensor slightly but the height ended up being very differnt. That explanes alot.