SOLVED BigBox Dual 1.1 with Hybrid Titan Upgrade

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Brandon Hart, May 25, 2016.

1. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

I just got my BB Dual 1.1 & Hybrid Titan Upgrade delivered this morning and I'm trying to make my way through the build manual. All was going well until step...4. Yeah, I didn't get very far. I have searched all of my boxes and there is no sign of even one filament idler printed part, let alone 2 of them. Thinking that perhaps I was just unlucky enough to miss both of them, I went and downloaded Liam's Printed Parts Check-List. I ran through that and found that I'm missing a LOT of printed parts. And I also have some that aren't listed anywhere.

I assume that because I've got a BB Dual v1.1, and because I added the Hybrid Titan upgrade kit that some of the parts were swapped out for others. But is there an updated parts list somewhere that I can check? And is there an updated build manual somewhere for this version? Or am I truly missing a crazy number of printed parts??

Thanks!

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I do not know of a updated list, but when you have a Titan you do not need the filament idler as printed part for the Titan it has its own injection molded idler. Does the Kit has 1 or 2 Titans? maybe you can finish build and the print the missing part(s).

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is the reason, Livi didn't update, her list is for the V1.0.
    The build manual covers the Titan at some points I think, but the main process is still for the V1.0.
    I'd just skip the sections you don't have the parts for, that should be mainly the sections for the X carriage, the rest should be fine...

4. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

Thanks Alex9779 and Stefan. I'll work my way through what I can and use my imagination to compensate for the difference in the supplied parts. I have 2 other printers up and running, so if I find that I actually need one of the missing parts I can print it out in a non-Edge material.

5. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I hit the same problem last night with D1.1 Titan. Will skip and move on.

6. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

7. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Did yours ship with the hybrid carriage? I was wondering if the problem comes from ordering the 1.0 Dual then the Titan upgrade but not the printed parts which were an option on the Titan upgrade?

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

It looks like I have the Hybrid X, will be assembling it soon.

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

"Note : If you are short of M4 12mm Grub Screws check the corrections bag inside the Stretch Box."

I am short one screw and don't have a "Stretch Box", will this be in the "Extras Box"? Looking now, but I don't want to steal a fixture from a future part.

Edit: found one in the "Extras Box", hope I don't need it later...

#9 jet, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  10. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

I got some great help from the E3D support mailbox. They sent a picture of all of the printed parts I need for a BigBox Dual with Hybrid Titan upgrade (all parts in the "General" columns, plus options 3 and 5) . I was then able to use that to do a parts check and figured out that I'm only missing 1 part. I didn't have the X-Carriage. They are overnighting me a replacement part, so I'll have it tomorrow! I'll keep building everything else in the meantime.

[​IMG]

Digi2life and Mike Kelly like this.
  11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I think I'm short on bearings, the BOM just says "BEARINGS" and doesn't mention how many. I'm at 15) Spool Holder Brackets and I've used all the bearings in the "Bearings Box" and one out of the "extruder (dual)" box. I need eight more for the dual spool holders and that leaves me with no remaining bearings. I realize I might have the right number of bearings (total), but using ones out of the extruder box before building the extruders makes me a wee bit nervous.

12. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

I’m probably misunderstanding things completely, however, if one has purchased a Dual BigBox V1.1 and then later added the Titan upgrade, then from the photo above, wouldn’t you expect to get General + 1 +2 +3 +5? thus giving you the option to operate in virgin 1.1 mode or using with the titan upgrade? Like i said i probably misunderstanding something.

13. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

Paul- I thought exactly the same way as you. I intended to complete the build as a BB Dual v1.1, then upgrade it to the Hybrid Titan option. So I expected to find the standard dual parts in the box along with the parts needed for a Hybrid Titan upgrade. However, because I added my BB Dual order number to my Hybrid Titan Upgrade Kit order, it appears that E3D swapped out the standard Dual v1.1 parts with the Hybrid Titan parts. So instead of getting all the parts, I just got the necessary parts for a BB Dual v1.1 Hybrid Titan setup.

14. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Same here, thus some confusion on what parts I need and what boxes they are in. So far I've only been short a few metric nuts, but I have a fasteners rack on one side of the shop so no big deal.

15. Brandon Hart

Brandon Hart Member

My replacement X-Carriage arrived this morning. Thoroughly amazed how E3D ships everything Priority Overnight and it can get all the way from Oxford, UK to my house in Des Moines, IA in a single day.

However, it must be said that the print quality on these printed parts is a bit...lower than expected. Some of the parts in the box are horribly rough textured and others have obvious warping or underextruded layers. As an example, the replacement part (pictured below) I just got is badly warped in a couple of places and has an area that clearly shifted during the start of the printing process, which means I need to shave off those portions just to use it. I know they're pumping out a lot of parts in their printer farm, but I was hoping for a bit higher quality 3D printed parts from a high quality 3D printer manufacturer. A lot of these would have gone into my "reject bucket."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

WTF? I would have gotten the printed parts because mine were looking like those! Getting those from them is a problem (although I at least feel better since if those guys have those problems I feel less stupid!) o_O

Stefan likes this.
  17. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Doesn't exactly engender confidence in the product if the guys that designed and built it can't get a good print out of it though :(

Even if this is really just a QC issue allowing it out the door, it isn't encouraging from a repeatability perspective that what has to be a thoroughly well set up printer with a 'debugged' item file is producing that sort of quality.

18. daveyweaver

daveyweaver Member

Doesn't seem right that those parts are not included. We have paid for them so should get them.

19. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

There is a difference between a product that does the job and one that looks like a catwalk model i.e. cost. Speed of supply is the pressure here and finish will suffer but not mechanical suitability. I don't like the finish, but it does the job well and, if I wanted to, I could reprint parts in carbon fibre filament at 200microns that looks very stylish but at a cost of near three times that of PLA and takes over twice as long to print. The BigBox was designed to be a hackable machine that you could change to meet your needs and desires; I bought the BB on that understanding and am not disappointed. I could have designed better, in hindsight, but I could not have manufactured what I designed.

Stefan likes this.
  20. jet

jet Well-Known Member

The instructions for the hybrid say to use the stepper motor from the kit for the bowden and direct motors, is there a reason to not use the motors that came with the Titan kits?